Suburban Assult Vehicle v2 Part: 2

May 14, 2008
medina, ohio
Re: Suburban Assult Vehicle v2 Part: 2

got the frame painted this week

i also got all the hex hardware and the pinion carrier back from the nitride coater. so, the truck can start to go back together finally. still have a few things to wrap up. i think im going to powder coat the calipers while its all apart. that will mean i have literally refinished every single suspension component, nut, bolt, etc..

also sprayed a coat of implement paint on the T-case

May 14, 2008
medina, ohio

so, im debating on caliper color...

black- easy to clean, simple
mash green- would match the suspension, but probably still blend in quite a bit
FDE - would contrast a tad and still keep the military-ish theme
blue- to match the king shocks/springs
traffic god-dam cone orange- f the pohlice, lets do something nutty.

Jul 3, 2010
USA

so, im debating on caliper color...

black- easy to clean, simple
mash green- would match the suspension, but probably still blend in quite a bit
FDE - would contrast a tad and still keep the military-ish theme
blue- to match the king shocks/springs
traffic god-dam cone orange- f the pohlice, lets do something nutty.
My opinion is that to match the level of this build, the calipers should have custom machined text like S.A.V. or something else cool, and hi-temp paint or powdercoat them black, with the inlay text in blue to match the shocks.

omega123

Mar 8, 2011
Iowa, Storm Lake

My opinion is that to match the level of this build, the calipers should have custom machined text like S.A.V. or something else cool, and hi-temp paint or powdercoat them black, with the inlay text in blue to match the shocks.
I agree with this that would look killer and give a nice touch at the same time

May 14, 2008
medina, ohio

so, the restoration phase of the build continues... and continues to slow down getting it back driving. i pulled all the parts out, laid them out in preperation to fully reassemble the axles, and i keep running into this type ****:

i cant really stomach spending all this time to make parts look good, and then leaving this rusty bull****. i suppose i could media blast it and rattlecan it, but ive gone this far... whats a little more time and powdercoat.

new short term list of things to do:

powdercoat-
steering knuckles
rear caliper supports
rear hubs
front hubs
transmission dust shield
all 4 brake calipers (i decided on orange)

nitride-
all the press in studs
steering ram clamps
high steer arm
all the brake hardware
shock mounting bolts

buy-
new rotors and pads
ARB -an fittings and locker plumbing
swap out the front D60 ARB for the right one (thick cut reverse rotation polka dotted.. i dunno)
new diff yokes
possibly new selectable hubs... i really like the yukons.

ill have some more pics this weekend (the trans and t-case did actually go back in!), but in the mean time, here is a pic of the rear pinion support back from nitriding. it came out awesome for cast steel.

im also waiting on some parts to start working on the trailer again. thats exciting for me.

May 14, 2008
medina, ohio

two more piece of rust wrapped metal fixed:

press studs out, nitride studs, new dust shields, media blast cast portion, powdercoat, reassemble.. x2

rear cover was done at the powder coaters so i had my buddy who is a professional pinstripper fill back in the lettering.

trans is back in and the new deep cast pan JUST clears the trans cross member. well, when i say 'just' i mean figuring the the movement the Energy Suspension trans and motor mounts will allow. at rest, there seems to be plenty.

May 14, 2008
medina, ohio

knuckles came back from powdercoat, so reinstalled the studs and steering stops (that all got nitrided). now im waiting on the dynatrac balljoints to show up. i hate waiting for parts.

May 14, 2008
medina, ohio

right, a front rotor with 3k miles on it and 1 ohio winter... a rusty disaster. left, the solution hopefully. this is a little different process on the rotor to not change the metallurgy of the stopping surfaces. obviously it wont last on the stopping surfaces, but the real goal was to keep the rest of the rotor from looking like crap.

one side pressed back on the powdercoated hub with nitrided studs

Last edited:
May 14, 2008
medina, ohio

aaaaaand the winner on the caliper color was... TRAFFIC CONE ORANGE. i think they will look awesome on the blacked out hubs and rotors.

May 14, 2008
medina, ohio

so, completely breaking down a caliper to the casting and rebuilding it is no picnic. not to mention parts store guys seem to be pretty dumb (yes, the truck has 2 front calipers and they both have 2 pistons. THAT EQUALS 4 SEALS, JETHROE!!). that aside, they are assembled. next time, tape and caliper paint. and since ARB doesnt make a black D60 diff cover, i made one for them. aircraft stripper, bead blast, debur, powder coat, and then my buddy Matt who is a pin striper laid the lettering back in orange. looks good i think.

i have a spare wheel for the truck, so i had him lay some orange in the machined grooves in the wheels. the soild olive drab looked good, but was a tad blah. i really like it and i think im going to have him do them all that way.

rear axle is going back under the truck tomorrow.

May 14, 2008
medina, ohio

Rear axle going together. Had to clearance some support ribs in the casting so the massive ARB would fit. Also found a very tight corner to drill and tap a spot for the air input. It's really close to the truss on the axle, which will allow the line to stay protected.

Got the pinion assembled, shimmed, ring gear installed, and patterned.

Everything locked down, torqued, and air line in place.

May 14, 2008
medina, ohio

rear axle is back under the truck and we are bolting in links today. im really glad i went thru with the hassle of getting all the allen head hardware for the suspension. it just looks so crazy. its really tough to get an idea of the scale of how big they really are, but it really makes it look like an RC truck.

this pic looks wacky because the axle is rolled way forward so we could get to main links in

May 14, 2008
medina, ohio

nothing tight or torqued yet, but all the main components are back in place. its really not east to slide everything in place carefully when every freakin piece weights a ton. but its all hanging and ready for some final measurements and plumbing. the rear should be finished today if everything goes according to plan.

the suspension is still slightly in down travel in this pic. the trac bar is level at ride height ;)

found some proper stainless steel t-bolt clamps to hold the shock res in place. i despise hose clamps (and wont have a single one on the new turbo motor).