Suburban Assult Vehicle v2 Part: 2

May 14, 2008
medina, ohio
part one can be found here:

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/...tions/336541-project-sub-urban-assult-v2.html

why part 2? well, part 1 got a bit out of hand with peoples opinion of the time line of this project. and while i appreciate the concern of the masses, trust me when i tell you, i have the situation in hand. regretable things were said by both parties involved with this project in a public forum, and that let to the public feeling they had a place to reply.

were not doing that again. were going to talk about the truck and only the truck. i can answer a few question that i know will pop up almost immediately:

1. no, i dont have a solid finish date other than 'as soon as possible'
2. its none of your buisness what it cost, but i have seen home built SAS projects exceed what this cost.
3. 10"

so, enough with that BS...on to the pics

the back of the truck had 3 cross members that were all in the way. with a panhard mount, shock mounts, winch mount, relocated gas tank mounts, and general frame strenghening support needed, it all had to come out and be redesigned.

old x-members

and removed

this x-member actually held 2 of the rear body mounts...more on that in a bit

the frame was plated in where the new x-member will live. the front and the back of the frame was tied together using L-shaped gussets.

May 14, 2008
medina, ohio
Re: Suburban Assult Vehicle v2 Part: 2

so, this needs a new home.

plate that replicates the OEM x-member support

the new x-member/panhard mount fresh off the plasma table.

Last edited:
May 14, 2008
medina, ohio

here is the x-member being test fitted and it shows how the pass thru's for the body mounts work

jacked into place and marked where it needs to be clearanced for the top corner of the tire under full articulation

cut lines marked

and cut with a cordless Makita saw. Clay says it zips thru 1/4 plate like nothing. i gotta get one of those...

Last edited:
May 14, 2008
medina, ohio

x-member full welded in

this will give you an idea of the scale of this build. on the right is a 3/4 heim, the middle is an FK joint that can be found on most monster trucks, and on the left...well, you know...

one rear link

radius arm coming together

Chevytodd

Jun 28, 2006
Edmonton, A.B.

Did we ever find out what the big black block was censoring in part 1? I cant remember???
No, no you didn't...
Lol, nicely played. Sub'd to see this one finished. For some reason I think if the Apocalypse comes and I survive, I may just see this Burb being driven around, cause I don't think anything could kill it, lol....

May 14, 2008
medina, ohio

here is a few more shots of the rear suspension in full compression and ride height positions. you can see the link mounting a tad better.