Project Z-71 - Picture Heavy

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Re: Project Z-71 - Picture Heavy

New steering gearbox installed!

Idler arm bracket welded, reinforced, and painted...

My mom's birthday was coming up and she always wanted professional pictures done of her 3 boys. Being both of my brothers have nice cars and knowing that they haven't had any good updated pictures of them, I got my brothers and their vehicles together to take some nice portrait pictures followed by some updated pictures of us and our vehicles. My brothers had a blast, got some great pictures, and my mom was super surprised with her pictures. Here is two pictures of all our vehicles together (Each brother is next to their car, the one top of my truck in the second picture is our best friend) followed by the ones of just my truck.

Just the other day I was able to catch this on the dash....

Last edited:

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL

Last Thursday I was getting ready to leave work and noticed a couple drips on the ground under my truck. Popped the hood and found my high pressure power steering hose leaking fluid. So I ordered one of those which should be here this coming week. So that's where I'm at now. Here soon I plan on doing the oil change, valve cover gaskets, and installing a new passenger side mirror. Check out my first post on page one for future modifications.

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL

Just a small update.... I haven't done anything to the truck since the last update other than drive it. I still have to do the valve cover gaskets, oil change, top off all the fluids, set the tire pressures, and do a little touch up painting here soon. After that the truck will just be driven until after September, then I'll get back to working on the truck. See what's next for the truck on page one in the first post. I'm going on a trip/vacation the first of September and my Tahoe Z-71 is the vehicle of choice for the trip so it's getting the most attention right now. Anyways, I'll update again later when I finish the valve cover gaskets and other work.

Last edited:

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL

Haven't done anything to the truck since the last update other than drive it. I'm less than 100 miles from hitting 200,000 miles. My main focus lately has been getting my 04' Chevy Tahoe Z-71 ready for a trip we're taking in 2 weeks. After we get back from our trip then the focus will shift back to the truck.

Last edited:

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL

Just turned over 200,000 miles on the truck this past weekend. Also cleaned up the inside a little bit. It'll get a lot of attention when I get back from my trip.

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL

Updated the current and next modification lists on the first post.

So from my last update, the truck turned 200,000 miles...

Since the first of this year the valve covers had been leaking oil. Not bad, but enough to make the a little mess on the ground where I park. Picked up some valve cover gaskets, Mobil 1 oil and oil filter and got to work.

Valve covers were dirty!

Much better...

Last edited:

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL

Got the valve cover gaskets done, then did an oil change to it.

Then I accidentally broke the passenger side rear view mirror. It needed replacing anyways as there was little rust specs on the mirror.

New passenger side rear view mirror....

Last edited:

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
It's been a while since I've posted and updated my build on the Silverado. I updated both lists on the first post so check that out. So I'm just going to start where I left off and work my way up to current day. As long as the forum is up, I'll try my best to keep this current.

Jan. 2017...Right before we moved we had some good storms pass through. As I sat out on the back porch watching the storms the sun came out briefly and I decided to snap a couple pictures of the truck from the back porch.

Feb. 2017...the moving fun begins!

Working on my brother-in-laws 02' Chevy Trailblazer

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
One day I was washing my truck and decided to clean out and organize everything in my toolbox. So I took everything out and wiped the inside of the toolbox down and added a couple stickers I had.

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Towards the end of 2017 I ended up replacing the left front window regulator with motor which was covered under warranty along with left extended cab exterior door handle which was also covered under warranty. Just a couple random pictures I took.

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
2018 was pretty quiet for the most part. Just drove it and did the oil changes. Most of the focus was on my wife's Tahoe. December 2018 my mom and I went to the local junkyard/pick a part. I ended up finding left extended cab exterior door handle, rubber center console mat, brake pedal pad, dash pad, and front dash bezel. Also picked up an AutoCraft visor organizer and camo steering wheel cover from Advance Auto Parts and a Cherry Bomb Vortex Muffler (SI/DO) from Summit Racing. All ended up being Christmas presents including the muffler install.

Dash pad and front dash bezel cracked...

Worn out brake pedal pad...

Parts we picked up from the local junkyard/pick a part...

AutoCraft visor organizer...

Cherry Bomb Vortex Muffler (3" Single In/3" Dual Out)

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Jan. 2019...Started with getting the dash pad, front dash bezel, left extended cab exterior door handle, brake pedal pad, rubber console mat, AutoCraft visor organizer, and camo steering wheel cover installed. Also made an appointment at a local exhaust shop to have the Cherry Bomb Vortex muffler installed.

Dash bezel and pad removed...

New/used not cracked dash pad....

Brake pedal pad...

AutoCraft visor organizer... Velcro straps weren't long enough to go around the visor so I made some extensions.

Camo steering wheel cover...

Last edited:

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Week later, I took the truck to the exhaust shop. Cherry Bomb Vortex muffler installed, new tail pipes, new hangers, and new stainless steel tips. Before getting this done, both exhaust tips had broken off, both back exhaust hangers were broken and I had the tail pipes held up with metal shirt hangers.

Before...

After....

Much better!

I was on my way to work one morning and as I was getting close to work I noticed the coolant temperature gauge go a little over half. I pulled into the parking lot and it was at 3/4. When I got off work I did a quick inspection and found the radiator was leaking and I could see dry coolant from one of the heater hoses. I called AAA to pick it up and tow it home and my wife picked me up and we followed the tow truck home.

Feb. 2019... Ordered and picked up a radiator and heater hoses from Advance Auto Parts. Started removing the radiator and heater hoses after work one day. Got everything removed and had to stop due to it getting too late. Next day when I got home it was pouring the rain so I had to wait. After work the next day I got the radiator installed, heater hoses installed, coolant system bleed and verified no leaks or overheating.

June 2019.... Installed new Rain-X wiper blades.

August 2019... left extended cab exterior door handle broke....again....

Sept. 2019.... Oil change. Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil and Purolator One Filter. "X" Tire rotation and set tire pressures.

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Oct. 2019.... One Saturday I pulled the diamond plate toolbox out of the back of the truck. Washed the exterior of the truck. Pulled everything out of the toolbox. One or two of the bottles/jugs had started to leak (most have been in there for several years), stuff just tossed in there and some trash. Pressure washed and scrubbed the toolbox, pressure washed several things, and tossed a couple things. Re-installed the toolbox. I removed the eye hooks, CB antenna, CB spring, and CB bracket. Sanded, wiped down and painted the eye hooks, CB spring, and the washers and bolts. While those were drying I re-organized everything in the toolbox and moved some of the stuff inside. Once those parts had 2-3 coats and had dried good I re-installed them.

Before...

Under the toolbox...

Tow rope dirty...

Tow rope cleaner....

Toolbox before...

Parts that I painted...

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
After with painted parts installed....

Nov. 2019... I was driving home from work one day and as I was driving slow through the apartment complex I heard this awful noise. After a little looking around and diagnostic the rear driveshaft u-joints were making noise and starting to go bad. Ordered and picked up some Moog rear u-joints from Advance Auto Parts. That weekend I replaced the rear u-joints, added some grease and test drove. No more noise. Couple weeks later I was doing a look over on the truck and checking the steering and suspension. Noticed both front hub bearings had some play in them, one side more than the other. Ordered some Timken hub bearings from Rock Auto Parts that night. Rock Auto Parts had Timken hub bearings a lot cheaper than Advance Auto Parts even with the discounts. Installed the hub bearings the weekend the arrived. No more play.

Feb. 2020... I had a 4 Wheel Parts gift card. So I went up the street to 4 Wheel Parts and looked around. After debating on a couple things I ended up getting a 60" Hi-Lift Xtreme Jack. Definitely a heavy duty jack. Just what I needed.

March 2020... I had seen several people sign up for Chevy Truck Legends and were super happy so after a little reading I signed up myself. A couple weeks later this arrived.

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Thread/build is now up to current. Hopefully next week or weekend sometime I'll clean the K&N Air Filter and throttle body and maybe even remove the billet grille and LS decals. Stay tuned as I'll be updating more often.

Last edited: