Going through the mountains on I-40

Our Cabin

Looking out the screened back porch at my truck

Our view of the mountains from the cabin

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2009
Northern New Jersey
Re: Project Z-71 - Picture Heavy

Damn dude you did a tremendous amount of work to that thing! Truck looks spectacular but being an f-body fanatic and owning half a dozen or so I have to ask about that ws6!

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL

Thanks zraffz! That's my brother's WS6. I had to contact my brother for the list of modifications as he has been installing and ordering parts lately.

Details:
2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
75k miles on body and 9k on the engine
Super Vic Jr Edelbrock Intake, Fuel rails, 42# injectors, WS6 Store Catch Can, Racetronix Fuel Pump System, K&N Air Filter w/ MTI Clear Lid, Center Force Clutch, Tick Master Cylinder, Pacesetter headers and y-pipe, SLP Powerflo Catback, Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, Full BMR/UMI Rear Suspension, 3.73 gears, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, and several other things I'm forgetting. Also waiting to be installed: FAST 102 Intake Ported by Vengeance and Nick Williams, 102 Throttle Body, Tick Polluter Cam Swap, Ported LS6 Oil Pump, LS7 lifters, Comp Push Rods, LS2 Timing Chain and PRC Stage 2.5 LS6 Heads.

Oh by the way did I mention this is his first car, he bought it when he was 16 and is currently 18 years old. He started working as early as he could, pays for gas, insurance, car payment, and all modifications and work done. Only thing that someone did for him as far as this car goes is that my grandma helped him get a good rate at the bank he went to. He loves this car. He got screwed at first, but he didn't let that stop him. He only had it for a couple months before the rod bearings spun and ate into the crank. Luckily we caught it before it locked up. So he picked up a new engine for it and another tech I work with and I installed it after hours.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2009
Northern New Jersey

I am beyond jealous. Awesome car. Does he plan on doing a cam when he does the heads/lifters? I'm absolutely jealous of that car lol. I almost bought an identical one a few months back but don't want to spend the money I'm saving for my new business.

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL

Yeah, it'll definitely put you in the seat just the way it is now. Yeah, I'm pretty sure he'll do most all that at the same time. I told both my brothers before they got their cars that if I was to get a car it'd have to be a new GTO 6.0 or a WS6. My other brother picked up a 5.7 GTO, just sold it because he wants a 6.0L GTO and a different color and then the other brother above got the WS6. So they both have cars I'd love to have. I'm known as the support vehicle as I'm always carrying tools, straps, etc.... So if they ever need help I usually get a call. lol I'm more of a truck/suv guy as I'd get into too much trouble if I had one.

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL

- Updated first post.

- Right after my honeymoon trip I was following a semi and had a rock or something fling back and put a nice small crack in my windshield. So I had my insurance take care of that and I ended up getting a new windshield for free. Man what a difference! Not long after that I noticed my charging/voltage going back and forth between 14v and like 9v then one time I even caught the battery light come on once. So I picked up a Duralast Gold Alternator with a nice warranty. Got it installed and runs like a champ now. I had a Bass Pro Shop card from that someone got us as a wedding gift. There isn't any Bass Pro Shops around me so I got online and ordered a Maglight Mount with part of the card. I've yet to install it, trying to figure out a good place to mount it. This past week I picked up a right front window regulator and both valve cover gaskets from GM. The right front window finally died, it'll roll down, but when rolling up it'll go about half way before I have to help it up. Also noticed my valve cover gaskets leaking so I'm replacing those too. Got a lot of work ahead of me, but now that it's warming up I'll be outside tinkering a lot more. Tomorrow I'm going to go look at an 04' Tahoe Z-71 to possibly add to the family. So we shall see how that ends up.

Enough talk here is a couple pictures...

Old Alternator

New Alternator

Quick picture of the 2004 Chevy Tahoe Z-71 I'm going to go look at tomorrow.

Last edited:

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL

Thanks Solaris! My other brother just went to Ohio and picked up a nice GTO.....

I haven't seen it in person yet, but going to try and get some pictures and video when I do. I'd get in too much trouble if I had a car plus I'm more of a truck/SUV guy.

Anyways, I updated the 1st post. Changed and re-arranged some modifications. Going to try and get some new pictures here soon.

So I went and took a look at the 2004 Chevy Tahoe Z-71 pictured above. It was in good condition, almost new Nitto Terra Grapplers, no sunroof (biggest thing to me), clean engine bay, 4 captains chairs, DVD player, 3rd row (which will be removed for storage), and wheels plasti-diped black. Only issue they brought up, which wasn't a big deal to me as I'm a mechanic was that the rear A/C isn't blowing cold. So I told them I wanted it. So if all goes well I'll be picking it up this Saturday. I will start a build thread for it too. Instead of putting the mag light holder in the truck I'm going to put it in the Tahoe. I also ordered the following for the Tahoe. Figured I needed to start it off right... I ordered the following for the Tahoe:

Uniden Bearcat 980 SSB/CB with Side band and Weather band
Firestik SS-204A Adjustable Stainless Steel Vertical Door Jamb Mount
18' Coaxial Cable
Firestik SS-3H HD Stainless Steel Antenna Spring
4' Firestik II FS Series Tunable Tip CB Antenna- 900 watts- Black

And everything arrived....

Last edited:

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL

Been a while since I've updated my build thread, but not a whole lot has been done. I had just recently re-organized my Photobucket pictures which basically took out 99% of the pictures I had posted in this thread. So I just finished adding all the pictures back and switched a couple around so there is a couple new pictures posted. I updated the current picture and did some slight changes to the future modification list. About a week after my last post above I picked up that 04' Chevy Tahoe Z-71, which I will be making a build thread for it shortly. About a month after owning the Tahoe I was driving the truck to work and noticed the steering was sloppy so when I went to lunch I rolled under the truck to take a quick peek at the steering components. I found the bracket that holds the idler arm to the frame came undone from the frame. I had already had it welded once when it was just a small crack a couple years ago. So when I noticed that I knew it was unsafe to drive. So I got a few estimates on having the bracket welded back to the frame and reinforced. I just recently switched jobs so I ended up driving the truck home for it to sit until I save up some extra cash to have it welded back. Now if the weather would get better to where I have a weekend with little to no chance of rain I have some work to do to both the Silverado and Tahoe. Enough talk here is a couple pictures....

Broken Bracket:

Last edited:

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL

- Edited first post.

Just a small update with the truck. Hopefully getting the frame/steering bracket welded soon now that things have finally calmed down a little bit. My battery was starting slow so I pulled my Optima Yellow Top out to charge it and after charging for two hours on slow charge I noticed acid leaking from one of the top terminals. So I took it off the charger and did a quick battery test with our midtronics battery tester and sure enough that battery is shot. So I think I'm going to try one of the AutoCraft Silver 800 CCA batteries out and see how it does. This morning I replaced the right front window regulator, which works great. Going to paint the speaker covers black and then put another coat or two of paint on the center console lid as its starting to show some wear too. Also planning on replacing both valve cover gaskets here soon too. No pictures this time, but I'll try and post some next update.

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL

Edited both modification lists in first post.

So it's been a while since I've updated this build. The post before the last has pictures of the idler arm bracket that came undone from the frame. So it sat for a couple months until I had a chance to get it to the shop. My 6-7 year old Optima Yellow Top battery started leaking acid from the top posts and didn't pass with the midtronics battery tester so I knew it was time for a new battery too. About a month ago I picked up an AutoCraft Silver Battery (800 CCA/Dual Post) and got it installed. That same day I had my truck towed to a Off-Road shop. Earlier that day I had talked with the owner for a good 15 minutes about if he had seen that issue before, what causes it, cost, time frame, etc... I told him I was dropping it off after hours to just call me with an update the next day. I was expecting it to take a day or so, but I got a call the next morning about 9:30am from him saying he got there early this morning and my truck was the first on the lift and it's done and ready to roll. So I told my work I was taking a long lunch to pick up my truck. My wife and I picked up my truck and talked with the owner who did all the work. He said he not only welded the bracket back the best he could but welded/added support brackets on both sides. So of course I had to drive it home, which was the first time driving it in months so I wasn't sure if anything else was wrong with the truck from sitting. Truck drove great home (little over 20 miles) but noticed three things. 1.) Drivers side window regular is toast. Took the door panel off and found the cable broken. 2.) Alignment off/Steering wheel not centered. Was expecting this. 3.) Noticed the brakes were acting funny when I was getting close to work. When I got to work I noticed a bad smell and that both rear wheels were super hot. So I've just been driving the truck to and from work lately and taking the Tahoe anywhere else. So that's where I'm at now with the truck. I'm just happy to have it back on the road.

So the next couple things getting done to the truck here soon in this order.

1.) Installing new rear brake calipers. Brake fluid flush. Bleed brakes.
2.) Alignment
3.) Driver side window regulator with motor
4.) Paint center console and front speaker covers

Enough talk. Here is a couple pictures I took.

Optima Yellow Top Battery

AutoCraft Silver Battery

Installed

Getting towed. Little blurry because the tow truck started to pull away as I was taking the picture.

Fixed bracket

Last edited:

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL

It's been several months since I've updated this, but I've been extremely busy with not only life but vehicles too. Going to try and start updating this more often though. First off, I updated the first post with a new picture and updated the current modifications and future modifications lists. So go check it out.

So going in order following the last update....

When I picked up the truck from getting the idler arm bracket welded back and reinforced I was on my way back to work and when I got about a mile from my work I noticed the brake pedal started to seem soft. So when I got to work I looked at both front and rear brakes and noticed the rear brakes and both rear wheels were super hot. So I picked up some new rear calipers, emptied and refilled with new brake fluid, and bleed the brakes. Test drove and all back to normal if not better.

After that I gathered more parts for some basic maintenance along with a new drivers side extended cab door handle and not pictured a drivers side window regulator with motor.

Last edited:

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL

New door handle installed as I accidentally broke the old one.

Quick picture I took of the old broken window regulator.

Painted the speaker covers black.

Since I have the only truck in the family, I was asked to go pick up a box spring from my cousins mattress store. After I got it loaded and tied down I had taken a couple pictures of it.

One morning I was on my way to work and was going over the bridge right before my work when I heard a loud whining noise and then started to loose power steering. I pulled into my work, got out, and noticed this leaking. So I picked up a reman steering gearbox and did an alignment. Here are some pictures I took along with some better pictures of idler arm bracket reinforcement.

Last edited: