Project Truck Thread..updated pics as I go

Jimmy P

Aug 12, 2001
Michigan
www.fullsizechevy.com
Re: Project Truck Thread..updated pics as I go

Back bed panel beadrolled for some detail, underside of the bed finish welded and undercoated, inner panels metal worked and primed and ready for block sanding. 1/2" aluminum spacer blocks under the front bags and 1.5" blocks under the rear bags to level it out.

Next up I will probably start playing around with the interior and maybe some wiring.

[/QUOTE]

Jimmy P

Aug 12, 2001
Michigan
www.fullsizechevy.com

Not sure if anyone still visits this site but I will keep the thread going regardless.
More progress on the dash. Trying to replicate the look of the 1994 dashboard on the pass side. I have been spending a lot of time on the gauge cluster/wiring. May end of going to a camaro instrument cluster to get all the gauges to work.

Picked up a denali grill at the junkyard and began work on the custom aluminum insert. Planning to paint to match the chrome ring. I used whiteboard to sketch out a variety of designs which worked out really well. The design is beadrolled in, now I just have to figure out how I want to open up the areas darkened with a marker. Probably will use 1/2 or 1" dia holes with a dimple die to flare them.

Nov 22, 2001
Southern Virginia

Oooh... more progress. :cool: I don't really have any comments or suggestions on the dash other than it's coming along nicely. As for the grill, I like that you're doing a one-off insert. If your overall layout isn't going to change and you're keeping the flats and perimeter, I agree with your thought on colormatching the trim ring. Would it be possible to blend in the trim ring to the rest of the surround before you paint it?? Just a thought. I'm trying to come up with different ideas for you to punch out the shaded area, but I'm coming up blank at the moment. Maybe I'll knock the dust off of PS and see what I can come up with if you can give me the better part of the weekend to test out ideas. Whatever you do, maybe you could mimic it on the dash or something?

Last edited:

Jimmy P

Aug 12, 2001
Michigan
www.fullsizechevy.com

Oooh... more progress. :cool: I don't really have any comments or suggestions on the dash other than it's coming along nicely. As for the grill, I like that you're doing a one-off insert. If your overall layout isn't going to change and you're keeping the flats and perimeter, I agree with your thought on colormatching the trim ring. Would it be possible to blend in the trim ring to the rest of the surround before you paint it?? Just a thought. I'm trying to come up with different ideas for you to punch out the shaded area, but I'm coming up blank at the moment. Maybe I'll knock the dust off of PS and see what I can come up with if you can give me the better part of the weekend to test out ideas. Whatever you do, maybe you could mimic it on the dash or something?
Thanks chuggs.....I would always love to see some of your ideas. I have been implementing some dimple die flare holes in the interior and maybe some other areas on the truck so they won't be out of place. I like the denali chrome ring by itself but don't like the clash of chrome and aluminum......tried getting rid of it altogether like the mitch Henderson truck but haven't figured out how they did it yet.

Nov 22, 2001
Southern Virginia

Any chance you could get some pics of the holes you've done in the interior? I hear you on the clash and couldn't agree more. I'm not quite sure what recommendations to make about the trim ring that you probably haven't tried already. Plastic weld? Fiberglass? In the mean time, here's something that I was playing around with... yes, I know the mesh doesn't quite line up... LOL

Last edited:

Jimmy P

Aug 12, 2001
Michigan
www.fullsizechevy.com

Any chance you could get some pics of the holes you've done in the interior? I hear you on the clash and couldn't agree more. I'm not quite sure what recommendations to make about the trim ring that you probably haven't tried already. Plastic weld? Fiberglass? In the mean time, here's something that I was playing around with... yes, I know the mesh doesn't quite line up... LOL

Chuggs, they are just standard "dimple die" holes on the interior but on a larger scale. Will try to get some pics posted next week.

I do like the design you are showing...if the punched holes dont work out I did think about cutting it out and replacing it with a mesh. There are a bunch of options on ebay these days. I also kind of like how you left the center solid and only used mesh on the top and bottom, leaving the center solid. Thanks for the render, it got some more ideas brewing. I am thinking I need to mold in the ring now, not sure if color matching it only will give it the right flow.

Nov 22, 2001
Southern Virginia

Chuggs, they are just standard "dimple die" holes on the interior but on a larger scale. Will try to get some pics posted next week.

I do like the design you are showing...if the punched holes dont work out I did think about cutting it out and replacing it with a mesh. There are a bunch of options on ebay these days. I also kind of like how you left the center solid and only used mesh on the top and bottom, leaving the center solid. Thanks for the render, it got some more ideas brewing. I am thinking I need to mold in the ring now, not sure if color matching it only will give it the right flow.
Until I hear back from you, I'll see what I can come up with to take a stab at the holes on my own. Although, just from what I learned with the mesh, the spacing is going to be a royal bitch from this angle. :lol: I thought about trying to narrow the "framework" of what I didn't modify, but I wasn't sure how feasible it would be real-world. And yes, molding the trim ring or removing and filling in for it would be your best bet. There would be too many transitions if you just paint it. Considering the extra steps you took to make your bumper flow, those transitions probably would stand out more than you want them to.

Last edited:

Jimmy P

Aug 12, 2001
Michigan
www.fullsizechevy.com

Until I hear back from you, I'll see what I can come up with to take a stab at the holes on my own. Although, just from what I learned with the mesh, the spacing is going to be a royal bitch from this angle. :lol: I thought about trying to narrow the "framework" of what I didn't modify, but I wasn't sure how feasible it would be real-world. And yes, molding the trim ring or removing and filling in for it would be your best bet. There would be too many transitions if you just paint it. Considering the extra steps you took to make your bumper flow, those transitions probably would stand out more than you want them to.
Figured I would make it a little easier on you, here is a straight on picture, second pic includes some dimple die hole samples for size reference....smaller is 1/2" and larger is 1" diameter. I am starting to lean towards the mesh now though after seeing your rendering.

Jimmy P

Aug 12, 2001
Michigan
www.fullsizechevy.com

drilled out some holes and flared them with the dimple die set in a 20ton press. It is a little unique for the truck scene which I like. I may still paint the inset sections black. I am a little concerned with the limited amount of open space in the grill for airflow. Will have to do some testing once I get it on the road to determine if I need to open it up more.

Starting to draw up some custom aluminum headlight housings/projector headlights and LED turn signal bars now to match the grill design, and bring the forward lighting up to date.

Hit some roadblocks on the dashboard, neither the corvette or fbody gauge cluster fit behind the dash because of the proximity of the brake booster. I did make some progress on the console though.

Jan 29, 2005
Indianapolis, IN

I logged back in for the first time in a long time to see this! One of the few threads that I actually get email notifications for....I remember drooling over this build years ago, so great to see you back at it!

I like what you came up with for the grille there, Jimmy. But I see where you're coming from in terms of potential air flow issues. Cool to hear that you're looking to mod the headlights too. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

I had hoped to get back to you sooner, but I was having a bear of a time getting clean edges from the sample holes laying over top of the grille blank. It wasn't until you posted the last set that I could do anything with relative ease. So my apologies for this being late and rough... I didn't want to take too long with it, especially since it does look rather Chevy-ish with the horizontal.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2006
Medford, OR

I dont know what selection of hole sizes you have, but a look a bit more like the NBS Denali grill with the smaller GMC logo like you have might look pretty cool also. Maybe not quite as small a hole, but maybe 3/4-7/8.

Jimmy P

Aug 12, 2001
Michigan
www.fullsizechevy.com

I like what you came up with for the grille there, Jimmy. But I see where you're coming from in terms of potential air flow issues. Cool to hear that you're looking to mod the headlights too. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

I had hoped to get back to you sooner, but I was having a bear of a time getting clean edges from the sample holes laying over top of the grille blank. It wasn't until you posted the last set that I could do anything with relative ease. So my apologies for this being late and rough... I didn't want to take too long with it, especially since it does look rather Chevy-ish with the horizontal.

Chuggs, thanks that looks pretty nice too. I actually like the holes staggered and closer together like your show. I mocked it up and didnt think it would look that good. Its only about $15 worth of aluminum so may play around with another version in the future.

I dont know what selection of hole sizes you have, but a look a bit more like the NBS Denali grill with the smaller GMC logo like you have might look pretty cool also. Maybe not quite as small a hole, but maybe 3/4-7/8.
I agree on the hole size, the first time I started doing mockup I immediately regretting not ordering the dimple die setup that included a 3/4" set. I have always loved the denali look and could get some more airflow with that hole size too. Maybe on grill version 2.0 :) I have to watch making it too much line the "holey" style off the shelf aftermarket grill though.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2006
Medford, OR

I have to watch making it too much line the "holey" style off the shelf aftermarket grill though.
I agree you wouldnt want the 'holey' look completely, but the holey grille is half inch holes and has that huge GMC emblem slapped on it. With 3/4-7/8 holes and the smaller logo, it would still look classy and aggressive at the same time. Maybe leave the bars on each side of the logo.....