Project Truck Thread..updated pics as I go

Feb 22, 2002
Hawaii
www.allynch.com
Re: Project Truck Thread..updated pics as I go

No...still separate pieces. I am adding a fastener to maintain a nice gap between then. Still working with the plastic cap. ... What a pita... Plastic sucks

So if I got you right the bumper will unbolt from the fender around the top of the plastic?

Also what is going to be the finish of the plastic? If painted you could do just about anything to it before the paint. Did you get the Eastwood plastic welder? It can be used as a heat gun to mold the plastic better if needed. :thumbup:

Jimmy P

Aug 12, 2001
Michigan
www.fullsizechevy.com

So if I got you right the bumper will unbolt from the fender around the top of the plastic?

Also what is going to be the finish of the plastic? If painted you could do just about anything to it before the paint. Did you get the Eastwood plastic welder? It can be used as a heat gun to mold the plastic better if needed. :thumbup:
Yeah you got it. The plastic will be painted. I have been using a big soldering iron and heat gun to get it soft and form it into place. Part of the problem is that the molded plastic clips that hold it to the steel bumper are getting worn out.

After/Before

Last edited:

Jimmy P

Aug 12, 2001
Michigan
www.fullsizechevy.com

Inner fenders coming along. Started with a pair of trailer fenders, welded together, then ran it through the english wheel to give it a slight crown. Removed factory swiss cheese sheetmetal and replaced it. Also used the english wheel to crown the inner boxing piece to cover the ball joint. Planning to finish the entire underside to prevent debris from getting trapped inside.
I may also add some bead rolls or similar details to dress it up a little too.

Feb 22, 2002
Hawaii
www.allynch.com

Nice layout!!!!

Hey Jimmy I sent you a PM 3 weeks ago about engineering and our son. I never got a reply. If you have time I'd like to have your input. Thanks!!!

Now back to the build....

Jimmy P

Aug 12, 2001
Michigan
www.fullsizechevy.com

Welding in some longer stops to prevent the tires from touching the outboard mounted shocks. Playing around with wood bag spacers to get the ride height/slammed height just right.

Plasma cut out a mount for the dual Viair compressors. Working on the final plumbing now.

Finish welded the induction system, hid the stock MAF sensor the best I could inside the tube, finish welded the inner fenders, setup the rear hood latches, plug welded the EGR ports in the exhaust, looped the heater outlets on the water pump.

Props to Air Ride Technoligies. My original Air Ride Pro E went dead on me, really disappointing considering how much I actually used it. I sent it back to see if they could fix it, they said it likely was fried when I had it hooked up to a battery charger. They said it couldnt be fixed, so they replaced it for free. That really impressed me considering how long ago I bought it. Back in business today with a new Optima and fresh air ride controller. Spun the engine up with no fuel this evening, everything looked good. Hopefully have it running by the end of the week.

Had a hard time find a good location for the coolant overflow tank. Ended up using an aftermarket polished aluminum tank and fit it in front of the core support. Had to trim the top of the grill a bit to allow access to the cap but it kept it out of the engine bay.

After replacing the fuel pump I managed to get the engine started up again. Just need rear brakes and I should be able to pull it out of the garage soon.

Picked up a used harbor freight bead roller and added some 3x3 x 1/4" tube to the back of it to stop it from flexing. After holding out for a nice industrial bead roller, I was pretty happy with how this turned out.

16 gauge aluminum for the bed floor. Carefully mapped out where I wanted the lines, I wanted the the wood plant/chrome strip look but out of aluminum.

Beads rolled and the floor test fit but missing the structure.

Feb 22, 2002
Hawaii
www.allynch.com

How could this have gone 9 days without a post? :crazy: Nice bed floor Jimmy. :rocking: You are right on Air Ride. Those guys really take care of their customers. :thumbup: They rebuilt one of my Shockwaves when the shock shaft broke. Can't wait to see of video of it running. :happy:

Jimmy P

Aug 12, 2001
Michigan
www.fullsizechevy.com

I made some good progress the last few weeks. I got the rear rotors cleaned up, new pads installed, new brake lines run on the rear axle. I must still have some air in the lines because they aren't working :(

I also got the exhaust hangers welded to the frame and built some custom muffler turndowns behind the rolllpan. I almost did Dodge Challeger exhaust tips coming through the very bottom of the pan but changed my mind at the last minute. The back end was just too clean.

I was able to fire it up and move it outside tonight. First time it has moved under its own power for like 10 years. Good to know I can at least move it around the garage a little easier now.

Bed floor is almost done. I sealed and secured 1/2" plywood to the tube frame with flush mounted self tapping fasteners. Then applied contact cement before laying down the aluminum panel. So far it seems to have worked well, we will see how it holds up to temperature fluctuations. The steel/wood/aluminum will all expand and contact at different rates and might not hold up. Need to add some air shocks or air cylinders on it to make it easier to open. It ended up being heavier than I expected.

Now to the pics

front bumper clearance with new 1/2"' bag spacers.....right where I wanted it

I may raise the back end up a little so the cruising height will be level or raked forward. The back end doesnt get as much lift as the front, plus the front fender opening is a little higher, so it will have a negative rake at ride height, which I hate.

jmig

Aug 1, 2005
maryland

What are you using to make your stops longer? I have to make some for my MMW LCA's since I have already broke my passenger side front sensor on my elevel.

Last edited:

Jimmy P

Aug 12, 2001
Michigan
www.fullsizechevy.com

What are you using to make your stops longer? I have to make some for my MMW LCA's since I have already broke my passenger side front sensor on my elevel.
The ART arms have a 1/2" block of steel welded to them, I wanted to thread/tap it but it was just easier to weld another piece of steel to it. Only downside is that I will have to repaint it.

Jimmy P

Aug 12, 2001
Michigan
www.fullsizechevy.com

love seeing progress on this. i sold mine and its painted purple now! haha
well that must have been heartbreaking to see it turn purple!

After seriously going back and forth on a mild chop for about a year I finally decided not to do it so I could move forward and get the truck on the road.

I found an old and abused normal truck hood on craiglist for $25 and cut the last 2.75" off the back of it. I used this piece to extend the escalade hood back to the windshield and eliminate the cowl area. As it turns out the curvature of the truck and escalade hoods against the windshield is about 3/8" of an inch different so I had to retrim it but overall it was a pretty straightforward mod. Still have to final weld it all the way across and pray for no warping.

This pics shows the gap which is the difference between the curves in the back of the two hoods. Weird.

Retrimmed and tack welded in place

Jimmy P

Aug 12, 2001
Michigan
www.fullsizechevy.com

Looking great man!! Any rough estimates of how long it will be before she takes her first spin out on the streets?
thanks. Hard to say, if I was in a hurry to get it on the road I probably would stop doing all these extra mods. :) The next big hurtle to get over will be wiring it from scratch and building the interior. I had hoped to have it on the road at the end of the summer but I keep getting distracted and progress has been slow. Maybe next year I can get it out on the road.