Project BOV - Picture Heavy!

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Re: Project BOV - Picture Heavy!

So it's been a couple months since I've updated this build, but all has finally started to settle down a little bit so I'm going to try and start updating this more often. First off, I updated the picture and the current and future modifications lists in the first post. Also sorry for the lack of pictures, but I'll make up for it in the next several updates. Most of this update is a couple pictures along with a lot of information on what to expect. After I get the A/C fixed and some parts painted I plan on giving the Silverado and Tahoe a good wash and wax and then get some better pictures of both separate and together along with possibly some night shots. So that's something to watch for later.

A couple months ago my wife told me the Tahoe was starting slower than usual. So the next day she goes out and tries to start it and it's dead. I pulled the battery and took it to work with me to test. Sure enough, it had a bad cell. So I went and picked up an AutoCraft Battery with 800 CCA and dual posts.

About a month or so ago my wife got with me again and said its starting slow again, sure enough the next day it was dead. Knowing it has a new battery, I jumped the vehicle and took it to work with me. Charged the battery and used the midtronics battery tester to test the battery, starter and alternator. Passed all those. So my next guess was a draw. So each day I drove it to work and every morning I started disconnecting fuses starting with disconnecting my CB to see if that might be causing it, nope, disconnected the front and rear A/C, nope, radio, nope, and then remembered that not too long ago my wife had accidentally hit one of the buttons on the rear view mirror. So I unplugged the connector on the rear view mirror. Sure enough, that was it. It's still unplugged as we speak and I've yet to have an issue and it's been a little over a month.

Here in the next couple weeks I'll be taking the Tahoe to work to evacuate the A/C system and then pulling the Tahoe to the side and pulling the seats, center console, and part of the dash out to replace the front blower motor and both A/C temperature control actuators then pulling the back A/C apart to replace the thermal expansion valve. After all that is done re-charge it back to spec.. After all that is done I should have a nice working A/C. While the Tahoe is down for A/C work I also plan on doing some painting so as all this is going on I'll be getting pictures and updating this thread.

After I get the A/C fixed and some painting done, these are the next things I'll be purchasing and installing:

Powerstop Drilled & Slotted Rotors with Ceramic Pads (Front & Rear)
License Plate Bulb Housings (Both)
3rd Brake Lamp Assembly
NGK Spark Plugs and ACDelco Wires
Fuel Filter
(x5) 295/70R17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
(x5) 17" XD Black Hoss Wheels
(x4) Tire Pressure Sensors
Cognito Torsion Bar Keys
1.5" Rear Coil Spacers
Bilstein 5100 Shocks

After those modifications are done I'm trying to decide on what I'm going to do next and I've got two things in mind.

1.) Purchase a Defender Roof Rack, 60" Extreme Hi-Lift Jack with mounting hardware, Pelican case for recovery tools, Rotopax Fuel Packs, Cargo Net, and several LED light bars (One front, two on each side, and two in the rear).

OR

2.) Purchase a Volant Air Intake System with Pre-Filter, Black Bear Performance Tune, Flowmaster 40 Series, Corvette Servo, and a True-Cool Max 40k Transmission Cooler.

Feel free to share your opinions as far as which of the two options I should do following the ones I already have planned.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2009
Northern New Jersey

I would go with option number 2 but I have different reasons than you do. I'm a huge fan of these trucks lifted with nice wheels and agressive tires but I dislike when people start doing much more than that to them. Then again, I'm that way with everything. I hate the stupid custom steel bumpers, winches, roof racks, etc.

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL

My main goal with the Tahoe is to have it be on-road/off-road capable, while making any trip comfortable whether it be going up the street to the store or traveling across several states for a trip. I love the look of roof racks and figured it'd be perfect for storing the full size spare, fuel and water, along with the hi-lift jack, and recovery supplies.

Last edited:

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL

So when I first bought the Tahoe I was able to work a deal with the previous owner because the rear A/C would only blow warm and the front A/C would sometime blow hot when set for cold. I didn't worry about it when I first bought it because we were about to go into fall and winter so we wouldn't need the A/C. Well when summer took full effect this year my wife said it has to be fixed. She is the primary driver of it unless I'm with her and then I usually drive. So I ordered both front A/C control actuators, blower motor for the front and a thermal expansion valve for the rear A/C. One day when I had it at work I evacuated the A/C system. Then took it to my wife's aunt's house and the tear down began. Here's several pictures I took during the process....

Found it!

New actuator in and going back together....

Last edited:

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL

So I got the front A/C temperature control actuators in, the new blower motor installed and everything put back together. Then I moved on to the rear A/C....

Trim panels off looking at the rear A/C....

Tear down...

Found it...

Going back together....

Back together...

So after I got it all back together, I left the trim panels off and took it into work the next day to re-charge the A/C system. Everything worked great and it's super cold now. I did notice the rear A/C temperature control actuator was real weak so I'll be installing a new one of those when I get back from our trip.

Last edited:

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL

After I got the A/C working I decided to do a little cleaning up. Did a little painting, cleaned the headlamp assemblies and installed some new Sylvania Silverstar low beam bulbs. I have a lot more painting I want to do, but I'll do that after the trip.

Before...

After... (Headlamps not cleaned up yet in these pictures)

Last edited:

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL

I updated the first post with a new picture and updated the current and future modifications list. So after I fixed the front and rear A/C, did a little bit of painting to the front bumper, and cleaned the headlamp lenses I picked up some Sylvania Silverstar low beam bulbs. I've had them in my truck for years with no issues so I decided to pick some up for the Tahoe before the trip.

Hard to tell from the picture, but it's brighter and more white. You can tell a difference on back roads.

Wasn't long after that it was time for our trip. We were headed to East TN for a big surprise birthday for my grandma.

Convoying with my mom and brother. Finishing up loading that last bit of stuff.

Packed and ready! Lol No that's not just my stuff. My stuff, wife's stuff, guns, fishing tackle, games, coolers full of food, stuff for the surprise party and some of my mom's stuff.

North bound and down...

Made it to my grandparents house with all the family already there. Time for some fun!

Last edited:

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL

Had a fun little vacation, but it was time to head back south to FL..

Passed the National Guard Armory

After a long trip back it was nice to back home and sleeping in our bed.

Last edited:

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL

So a couple weeks ago my wife told me the brakes were squeaking. So I took it to work and pulled the tires off. Still had a good bit of life left, so I took my angled die grinder with an abrasive pad and took the top layer off the brake pad. Lubed the slides and caliper pins and put it back together. Noise went away for about a week and then it came back. So I picked up some Powerstop Drilled & Slotted Rotors with some Powerstop Ceramic Pads front and rear and some black brake caliper paint. Couple people at my work run this setup on their vehicles and highly recommend it.

Last edited:

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
It's been a little while since I've updated this build thread. I updated the picture and both lists on the first post. The Tahoe here is my wife's daily driver. It's also our go to travel vehicle. I'm going to continue from where I left off....

Mid Dec. 2016 I had picked up some PowerStop drilled and slotted rotors, PowerStop ceramic pads, and black brake caliper paint. One afternoon I pulled it in the shop and got started. Checked the steering and suspension for play before removing the front tires and found some play in the left front hub bearing. So I ran next store to The Parts House and picked up a front hub bearing. Replaced front and rear pads and rotors, painted the brake calipers black, and replaced the left front hub bearing. Seemed to stop a lot better and faster and the wife was happy because the noise was gone.

Just a random picture I took one night of both our vehicles.

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
June 2017... Tahoe had a starting issue and after some diagnostics the fuel pump was going out. So I picked up an ACDelco fuel pump and fuel filter. Pulled the Tahoe in the shop and got to work.

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
August/September 2017.... we packed up the Tahoe and this time my 4-wheeler and headed north for our family reunion.

Packed up and headed out...

Ran into some storms on the way...

Older style gas pump...

Tahoe and my cousin's GMC Yukon XL...

Picking up the 4-wheeler in the field....

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Nov. 2017... my wife and I had an appointment one afternoon to get our eye's checked. Of course we just had our eye's dilated. Got home and found the driver side left quarter glass broken. Having your eye's dilated and trying to look at what had happened wasn't fun. Haha. You can see an impact point and then the bigger hole next to it. We did get a police report just in case.

From the inside....

The next day I took it to work (maybe a mile away) and that afternoon I brought it in. I knocked the rest of it out using a shop vac, cleaned everything up, and made a cover for the window until the glass company could come out.

And my temporary cover made from heavy duty trash bags and black duck tape. It worked good too!

Glass company installing the new glass...

Fixed and looks great!

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Feb. 2018 .... Rotated the tires, set tire pressures and performed an alignment. End of February I ended up switching jobs. Packed up and took everything home.

July 2018 ... My mom had a tree cut down in her front yard. Well the people didn't take it away. She put it up for free on a couple websites and no takers. So we hooked up the trailer, loaded it up, and took it away ourselves.

My cousin's 4-wheeler needed some work. Got it fixed up and running good. Loaded it up and took it back to him.

August 2018 .... Replaced both belts.

August/September 2018 .... Loaded up the Tahoe and headed north for our family reunion. Didn't end up taking any pictures of the Tahoe, but it was a fun trip!

Dec. 2018 ... My mom and I took a trip to the junkyard/pick a part. Ended up finding a 3rd brake light assembly. The one on the Tahoe didn't work. So I figured I take a shot in the dark on it possibly being a good one since it was cheap. Got it installed. It worked but was dim. Oh well, it's something for now.

Feb. 2019 .... Replaced the battery with another AutoCraft Silver.

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
October 2019 ... Tires were at the wear bars or a little lower. My wife liked the tires that were on it, Nitto Terra Grapplers. So did a little looking around and Tire Kingdom happened to have a special going on that included Nitto Terra Grappler G2 tires. Called and made an appointment for 4 Nitto Terra Grappler G2 tires (265/70R17) to be installed and an alignment. That Saturday I dropped it off early and told them to give me a call when it was done. Got a call later that afternoon saying it was done. Went to pick it up and not only did they install the tires and do the alignment but they were able to get me free road hazard too.

Feb. 2020 ... Replaced both belt tensioners due to starting to make noise.

Build is now current. We have storms possible tomorrow/Sunday and Monday so hoping Tuesday or Wednesday I can get to the garage and start working on the CB radio wiring and if I have time clean the K&N Air Filter and throttle body.