My Truck Through Its Stages

GREENSIERRA

Feb 14, 2006
winnipeg, Manitoba
Re: My Truck Through Its Stages

haha, the heads are sold but I still have to sell my cam
its a cool night and I was out in the truck so I decided to let her eat a couple times. the truck defanitly moves but I need more power.
a lot of it is the size of the converter too, it just doesn't pull up top like it should due to the diameter of the converter, the stall speed is awesome so I will keep that the same but I just blow through the converter due to the weight and rotating mass of the truck for the little 245mm. not sure when I am gonna have the funds to send it in and get made into a 258mm but it will happen one day. lol

Last edited:

GREENSIERRA

Feb 14, 2006
winnipeg, Manitoba

this cam wont clear a 6L without valve reliefs. this cam is the reason I went 408. lol
put it in and didn't have piston to valve clearance so I went all out on it, worst part is the cam was speced for my 6L setup so its not properly matched to my setup right now. atleast now my new cam will be specd for my new setup.
its been abit since I have used the bottle, maybe I should open it this weekend......

GREENSIERRA

Feb 14, 2006
winnipeg, Manitoba

so final cam specs are 240-256 630 604 112+4. I am waiting to hear back from Geoff on a price of lighter valves for the tfs 245 heads
A buddy is selling his ARH 1 7/8" headers, my 1 3/4" pace setters have been great but the new setup is defanily gonna need to get that air out so this should help.
I also called circle d again today to tell them the new setup, chris was out for the day but I talked to Brian and he suggests I get my 245mm made into a 258mm 3B. I only have a couple weeks left of the truck being out so I will take the converter out and send it in as soon as I can.

GREENSIERRA

Feb 14, 2006
winnipeg, Manitoba

haha, the truck wont leave the garage till atleast may once its back together. winter here is brutal and stays for over half of the year.
I picked up my ARH headers yesterday:) I will post pics once I get a chance.
as far as dynoing it, dyno numbers don't mean anything to me besides what I gain after I get off of it. with all my rotating mass numbers don't mean jack. but I might take it to my buddy next summer to see what I can gain out of her once the setup is the way I want it.

GREENSIERRA

Feb 14, 2006
winnipeg, Manitoba

yeah power is not cheap
my heads and cam are being made now. I ordered the heads with turned down LS3 hollow stem intake valves.
probably be 4-6 weeks till they are done and then I have to get them shipped. its gonna be hard to wait that long but it should be worth the wait

GREENSIERRA

Feb 14, 2006
winnipeg, Manitoba

nothing new to post about the truck besides it getting beat on extra hard lately due to it going to sleep next weekend for the winter.
decided to strap the go pro on for a couple of the passes I made this morning.
it was a windy day today and a couple of the vids are me going against the wind, even tho it was -1c I still had fun tearing up the streets this morning

https://youtu.be/xE-kr2fetkY

https://youtu.be/zUHcNpJEmlA

https://youtu.be/ASpGjkrjPlY
https://youtu.be/R0jqUQhn_rc

Jun 23, 2010
Columbus,Mississippi

Man this is a beast of a truck! I've got plans for a 408 build in the distant future. Decided to leave my job and go back to school, so funds for the truck have dropped from great to none! Way off subject but what brand and part number are your tow mirrors and are they the power mirrors or are they manual? been wanting some for my rig.

GREENSIERRA

Feb 14, 2006
winnipeg, Manitoba

Man this is a beast of a truck! I've got plans for a 408 build in the distant future. Decided to leave my job and go back to school, so funds for the truck have dropped from great to none! Way off subject but what brand and part number are your tow mirrors and are they the power mirrors or are they manual? been wanting some for my rig.
thanks man, I don't remember the part number but they are kool vue powered mirrors.
they have been great but one of the mirrors shakes at highway speeds. not sure if the factory ones do aswell. not a big deal.
talked to a buddy today and he is gonna weld a o2 bung into each header so I can check A/F on each bank by swapping the sensor.

GREENSIERRA

Feb 14, 2006
winnipeg, Manitoba

its actually my passenger side. I have a set on the wifes Tahoe aswell, I will check and see how they are next time I drive it.
I gave the truck a really good wash under it and the outside today, gave it a bunch of WOT passes then parked it in the garage for winter:(
once the heads and cam get shipped I will start tearing the truck apart so I am ready for the new parts, I am also going to fix some minor stuff that I had noticed since the frame off along with some maintenance.

GREENSIERRA

Feb 14, 2006
winnipeg, Manitoba

it is sad man but atleast I get to do some upgrades and fix what needs fixing
I had a little under 2 hours to work on the truck today, I have it stripped down to how the pic is and I also have the rockers and pushrods out. another hour or so more and I will have the heads and cam out, not sure when I will get time to work on it. I want it apart for when the new heads and cam show up and I think I still have a couple weeks till then. I also made a list of things that I need to fix or look at before she goes back on the road in spring.

GREENSIERRA

Feb 14, 2006
winnipeg, Manitoba

I test fitted the ARH headers today, I am gonna have my work cut out for me on the exhaust due to the angle of the collectors but I am sure I can make something work. I also pulled the heads and also tried taking the cam out but like usual the stupid torx on the cam retaining plate bolts kept twisting my torx bits. I got 2 bolts free but the other 2 bolts twisted my only 2 bits. I am gonna go and pick up 3 or 4 t-40 torx tomorrow.
I did pull my lifters and checked them out and just like last year I have 1 pin that holds the roller in is loose. Brian Tooley himself is gonna call me on Monday and we will see what he says but I am not gonna run the BTR SLR lifters anymore.
gonna do some research on what is a good lifter nowadays and go from there

GREENSIERRA

Feb 14, 2006
winnipeg, Manitoba

after 4 torx bits I finally got all the bolts out for the cam retaining plate. I also pulled the efans to make room for pulling the cam. its ready to come out but I am gonna keep it in so its in a safe place for now.
The wifey his getting me a nitrous pressure gauge and a triple gauge pod so I can monitor my pressure from inside the truck for Christmas:)
couple pics of how the truck sits right now along with the ARH headers and the old heads