My Silverado 2500 build

Dec 14, 2016
LI, NY.
New to the forums here, however not new to trucks or truck forums. Previously owned a 97 Suburban 1500 with 6" lift on 35"s.... A few summers ago, I wanted to go bigger. Picked up a 2000 Silverado 2500! I have known the truck pretty much the whole time I got into the truck scene, so I was no stranger pickin up my new truck. The only thing had changed on it was a Sierra front end. Well, here it is!

The specs:

2000 Silverado 2500 ECLB
6.0 Vortec with a Specter Air-filter
4:10 14bolt rear end
Pro-Comp lateral trac bars
Shock hoops with twin shocks.
37" Mud Grapplers on 18" Ballistic Jesters
Double Din with amp and sub.
'69 Chevelle pro street stainless race muffler
Ranch Hand rear heavy duty bumper.

A few days after I first picked it up.

Within a few weeks owning it, I had to change a rear axle seal, and a few other things here and there. I took it wheelin whenever I had the chance. Nothing ever stood in the way of this beast. It has a long wheelbase, which limits me on my turning radius and tight spots, and most trails, but hell I did it anyway. It's known as the loud as sh!t obnoxious mud truck:D But I love it that way.

***PLANS FOR THE FUTURE***
-New Ranchhand rear bumper
-Ranchhand front bumper
-50" Curved lightbar
-New bed,doors,fenders.
-new front and rear lights
-Billet grille insert
-LED interior lights

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2016
LI, NY.
Re: My Silverado 2500 build

The first little but well noticeable mod I did was black out the GMC emblem on the grill. It looked much better.

I took it to Rausch Creek one weekend. That was fun, especially the looks I got from the Jeep guys. Not common to see a lifted full size long bed going down a trail. I got that thing into places it shouldnt, but I didnt get stuck once :)

Pretty soon, I decided to swap the front end back to a Silverado. I picked up a split cowl hood, front fenders, grill, lights.

Went to bonfires in the woods, wheelin, enjoying my time off with friends.

Dec 14, 2016
LI, NY.

Then, I meet the love of my life. In a few months, we moved to upstate NY, from LI. While upstate, I was in need of a new drivers door. The old one wouldn't stay latched, the window would take a year to go up or down. The whole panel inside was gone, except for the window switches. It was pretty stupid. I went to the local yard and picked up a mint condition door from an 05 RCSB. The window switch wouldnt wire up to my existing harness, so I put on the one from my previous door. It would not fit well, so It just sits there and pops out all the time. No big deal for now though, she aint a show truck. I also picked up new door pins.

So now I was looking at a different color door, different color front end and a black cab and bed. I went to Home Depot and picked up a whole box of Rustolem Truck Bed Coating. Now it is easier to just powerwash off mud and I wont have to worry about having my paint scratched up.
The final product:

Dec 14, 2016
LI, NY.

Took a trip to the Mettowee Offroad Park in Whitehall NY...check it out its sick!

And I ended up loosing one exhaust pipe from my double pipe setup. Threw it in the bed and continued on my way.
There is a lot of details I am leaving out, but basically my girl and I ended up moving back to Long island for the summer.
Ended up losing my key for the truck shortly after moving back. Then screwed up the igniton lock cylinder in the process. I ended up getting another daily since the truck would be down for awhile. Moved back upstate for a little while.
Here I am wheelin the daily...

Then due to sudden problems relating to other things upstate, were forced to move back to Long Island....and first thing I did was get the truck fixed. I had a brand new lock cylinder and casing on, and she was ready to go!

Dec 14, 2016
LI, NY.

I take her out to stretch her legs. Listen to that 6.0 roar!

Ordered some new decals about 2 weeks ago.

Took her for a quick wheelin session.

And here are just some recent pictures from a little photoshoot I did.

Dec 14, 2016
LI, NY.

I went to use my heat the day I got back, and I noticed I was getting nothing blowing out, but the blower was working. Thought maybe the cabin air filter was so clogged up that it wasnt letting air through. I replaced it, it wasnt as bad. Still nothing, but I am getting the truck only warmed up a little from somewhere. I need to track down that issue, plus figure out why my 4wd hasn't been working like it should. And finally, 2 of my tires are worn down real low. I need to get new ones very soon.

Dec 14, 2016
LI, NY.

Awesome build, truck looks good!! So what else do you have planned for the truck modification wise? What tires you going with next?
I have a 50" curved lightbar that should be coming soon. Got a nice black Friday deal however the place has been slow so I don't even think they have shipped it yet. Once it comes though, I need to get the right brackets for it. Other than that, I am not sure. The truck has been through so much in it's lifetime, and I would like to get a new bed and anything else I can replace, and have it all painted black again. I would also like to por-15 the frame and make it look nice.
As far as tires, I would really like a set of Iroks, I was thinking going 39.5 but I am not sure how good the 4:10's are. If not, I will probably go up to a set of 38 Mud Grapplers. I was going to put up a post on the local sell/trade forums, to see if anyone had anything before I start saving up for tires, which we all know aren't cheap.

Last edited:

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL

Nice! Have you checked your local junkyard for spare body parts like the bed, etc....? Maybe put an ad on your local Craigslist? Just thinking of some ideas off the top of my head.

Iroks are a good tire. I ran some 35" SSRs when I just had the 6" Pro-Comp. Great tires. Yeah, running 4.10s I wouldn't run over a 38". I'm thinking of going with 4.88s with the 37"s. Good idea, never know if someone has the set tires for sale that you want. If not I'd find somewhere local to order those tires from, an off-road shop, etc...

Dec 14, 2016
LI, NY.

There is also this great site called http://car-part.com/ where basically you can find any part you want. It is a database that searches the inventory of different junk yards etc. That's how I found my door. Craigslist is great, too. I am on that site almost every day. With the weather getting this cold and not having a big enough garage to do work, I am probaly going to hold out untill spring to start gathering what I need, unless I find something absolutely perfect that I must have. The first I am probably going to replace will be the bed. I hate NY, the winters suck. I was thinking of possibly moving down to Florida by this coming summer if my girl and I can save up what we need.
They don't make the Iroks in 37" for my wheel size, but they do make a 36, I think. The goal is to go a little bigger, so no help there. The price for 2 new replacement tires isn't as bad so I might go that route. I do have a set of 40" MT Baja Claws but they are so worn down it wouldn't make sense to go out and buy wheels for them.

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL

I forgot about that website. I don't blame you on waiting till it gets warmer, I live in FL so we have like a month or so of cold temps and then it's back to normal. Go for it, I'm in NE FL and love it.

Are only two of your tires worn down or all four? Never hurts to buy two tires and then buy two more later.

Dec 14, 2016
LI, NY.

Only a month of cold really isn't bad. Judging by some of your pictures, it looks like I could still find some mud down there for me to play in.
Just two of my tires are worn down. Thats a good idea. Just for two mud grapplers, it is about 700 something, so not that bad. I rotate them when I can with each oil change, so they wear evenly. However the previous owner only replaced two out of the 4.

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL

Yeah, it's not bad at all. I'm wearing a t-shirt and shorts right now at work. Temperatures are looking to drop for a day or two this week just enough to need a sweatshirt, but that's it. Oh yeah, there is several places around here to go ridding. Might have to drive an hours or so, but there is plenty. If you have a 4-wheeler there is plenty of places for them too. Yeah, if that's the case I'd just buy two and keep rotating them. I rotate mine every oil change too.

Keep us updated if you buy any new parts or doing anything interesting with your truck.