88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

Re: 88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

Well, I put this on earlier this week, but I got a heck of a deal on an exhaust kit - Brand new Gibson Side Swept cat-back for $240 shipped. It's not exactly what I was planning for exhaust but at that price I couldn't say no.

OEM vs Gibson

A much better flowing muffler, and larger mandrel bent tailpipe. It's just slightly louder than stock, with a good tone from 1,200-2,500 or so. I would have went a little louder but it's also nice having a truck that isn't like the gates of hell opening up, particularly since I tend to show up to camp spots late at night.

One day I'll end up with headers.... One day.

Well, I put this on earlier this week, but I got a heck of a deal on an exhaust kit - Brand new Gibson Side Swept cat-back for $240 shipped. It's not exactly what I was planning for exhaust but at that price I couldn't say no.

OEM vs Gibson

A much better flowing muffler, and larger mandrel bent tailpipe. It's just slightly louder than stock, with a good tone from 1,200-2,500 or so. I would have went a little louder but it's also nice having a truck that isn't like the gates of hell opening up, particularly since I tend to show up to camp spots late at night.

May 8, 2014
"The triad", NC

I would have went a little louder but it's also nice having a truck that isn't like the gates of hell opening up, particularly since I tend to show up to camp spots late at night.
I would recommend the Gibson titanium-coated shorty set, but be prepared for the driver's side downpipe to disappoint you and need to be made again from scratch. Both side's flanges will also need to be notched to clear some head bolts, but that is not a big deal and not much material needs to be removed. It has been a year since I've installed them and still no rust. I also check the torque on the flanges every oil change and there haven't been any issues.

You will likely not be as loud as you think at idle, off-idle, and under light load that I would be with that large muffler and a single outlet. Hualing up a hill or 2300rpm+ is going to be loud. I start making "noise" at about 1800 rpm, and my glasspacks become apparent at about 2500-2700. When does your boost really start to climb?

I would recommend the Gibson titanium-coated shorty set, but be prepared for the driver's side downpipe to disappoint you and need to be made again from scratch. Both side's flanges will also need to be notched to clear some head bolts, but that is not a big deal and not much material needs to be removed. It has been a year since I've installed them and still no rust. I also check the torque on the flanges every oil change and there haven't been any issues.

You will likely not be as loud as you think at idle, off-idle, and under light load that I would be with that large muffler and a single outlet. Hualing up a hill or 2300rpm+ is going to be loud. I start making "noise" at about 1800 rpm, and my glasspacks become apparent at about 2500-2700. When does your boost really start to climb?
Yeah if i'm investing in headers I was planning to run something stainless, although I was thinking about a set of long tubes instead. There is a local place that makes a nice set of tri-ys as well. Good to know about the Gibson set though, it is also on my list of options.

And yeah, it's not as loud as what i was envisioning when i was planning exhaust but it is what it is and I couldn't beat the price. I notice the most noise either lugging the engine around 1,600 or under more load 2,500+ RPMs. My boost is pretty instantly but really howls above 2,500 RPMs as well.

Yeah if i'm investing in headers I was planning to run something stainless, although I was thinking about a set of long tubes instead. There is a local place that makes a nice set of tri-ys as well. Good to know about the Gibson set though, it is also on my list of options.

And yeah, it's not as loud as what i was envisioning when i was planning exhaust but it is what it is and I couldn't beat the price. I notice the most noise either lugging the engine around 1,600 or under more load 2,500+ RPMs. My boost is pretty instantly but really howls above 2,500 RPMs as well.