88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

Re: 88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

Thanks!

-----------------------------

MMMMM dinner is served!

My take on LED tails. I probably should have originally bought the red set way back when, but I had these and the OEM tails. BTW the OEM tails were coated in nightshade.... So the process involved removing that with lots and lots of wet sanding. Started out with 400, moved to 600, 1000, 1500, 2000, 3000 followed by Compound, polish and wax. Once they were back up to par, bake them for 10-min at 200 in the over, pull the lenses, add some RTV and slap them on the LED bases. They were a direct fit.

Remember those Z71 taillight guards? Yup. Put those on as well. I'm, not usually one for stick on accessories, but these were provided by Ma General so they are acceptable in my book ;)

Some shots on the truck. The leds work perfect behind the OEM lenses. They are nice and bright, line up with the OEM cuts in the lens, line up with the Z71 covers, and have that perfect blend of custom and OEM that I love.

tank454

Sep 15, 2009
Santa Monica, CA

Dude! I really like what you did with the tail lights. When I had my OBS, I really like the look and reliability of LEDs, but wanted a more OEM-looking letup. Great mashup of the two.

Did my normal thing the other weekend, had to show these shots :)

Most of our group

So, just as an update, last weekend I sold my 02 GMC. Part of me is broken about it, but I literally never used it anymore. It just sat getting dirty all the time outside. A little rememberane.

And yet again, I have more things in the works this weekend and next week..................

Surprised nobody was interested in the reason I had an unloaded trailer behind my truck......

Yup. 1998 K2500 Suburban. Black with grey interior. 454/4L80E/14FF w/ 4.10s & G80. The guy thought the motor was on it's way out, and wasn't sure what was wrong. Ran (Terribly) and the inside was pretty dirty. 285k on the clock. $700 though. Loaded it up and drug it the 2.5 hours home.

After my assessment of it, I plug in the Flashscan V2 and see what I can see - running super rich on bank 2. MAF, plugs, wires, distributor are all basically brand new. So, toss the MAF from another truck on it, runs better but still weird. Decided to check ignition system since it all looked recently touched - distributor cap was loose, and 3 spark plugs weren't plugged in properly.... Now it runs just fine.... G80 works too!

That being said, I bought this for parts. Lots of parts. I could clean it up and flip it, but it's exactly the year/colors and config I've been looking for. Thus far it's going to be helping out 4-6 GMT400 vehicles. The short list of things it will go to

The entire front 1/3 of interior sans the fabrics (dash/door panels/wiring/etc), all engine wiring, intake, injection and accessory parts and basically all of the underhood except the long block are going to be used on my 88. The driver's door and passenger fender are going on my dually as they have better paint. The long block will be used for 83GMCK2500's 96 that has over 300k on it, the transmission will be rebuilt for another friend's truck that is getting due for a 4L80E.... Might also swap axles into another truck to upgrade from 3.73s to 4.10s....

Nov 26, 2006
Chandler, AZ

I hate to see that Suburban get parted out, as it is exactly what I would have wanted compared to my 1/2 ton 98. Totally get it though sometimes they have to be sacrificed for the greater good.

I've had the same issue with the 87 3/4 ton suburban that I am getting ready to part out...

May 8, 2014
"The triad", NC

Yup. 1998 K2500 Suburban. Black with grey interior. 454/4L80E/14FF w/ 4.10s & G80. The guy thought the motor was on it's way out, and wasn't sure what was wrong. Ran (Terribly) and the inside was pretty dirty. 285k on the clock. $700 though. Loaded it up and drug it the 2.5 hours home.
Mercy. Nice find. If you can spare some grab handles let me know. My bronco would like a couple.
I bought a '78 coupe de'ville for $200 once. All it needed was a fuel pump and a tune up.

Last edited:

tank454

Sep 15, 2009
Santa Monica, CA

Those pics make me miss my OBS 2500 burb. But my wallet doesn't when I'm at the pump! Sad to see this one be a donor, but at least the parts will be put to good use.

Nice snatch! Cheap for all that it is! Sad to see the 02 go, I hope it went to a good home.
Yeah, a co-worker of mine bought it so At least I know where it went. Which is also slightly harder as well.

I hate to see that Suburban get parted out, as it is exactly what I would have wanted compared to my 1/2 ton 98. Totally get it though sometimes they have to be sacrificed for the greater good.

I've had the same issue with the 87 3/4 ton suburban that I am getting ready to part out...
Yeah, honestly with a bit of work it could be a good suburban again, although it's a bit tired with the high miles.

Mercy. Nice find. If you can spare some grab handles let me know. My bronco would like a couple.
I bought a '78 coupe de'ville for $200 once. All it needed was a fuel pump and a tune up.
Which handles? the ones directly above the door? I imagine I might have a spare or two.

Those pics make me miss my OBS 2500 burb. But my wallet doesn't when I'm at the pump! Sad to see this one be a donor, but at least the parts will be put to good use.
Well I am considering putting the 42 gallon burb tank in the back of my dually....

---------------------

YAY MOAR THINGS

Decided it was time after many days thinking about it, that some more stereo upgrades were in order. most of this is just wiring stuff which isn't very exciting, so here are the highlights.

First off was a sub. Without building something custom, my options are limited. I didn't want to take the factory jack tools and tray out, so that leaves under the rear seat. I found a matched 80" Pioneer shallow mount that fits under the seat no problem. Amp fits right next to it.

Part of my stereo system uses a GPS antenna, so I did what I did with my Sirius antenna in the 88 and hid it under a cab light.

And, the stereo installed. I purchased the Pioneer SPH-DA120 AppRadio 4. It's a capacitive touch screen with Apple CarPlay. It doesn't have an optical drive (I haven't used mine in years anyway). Basically my goal was to add handsfree integration, AUX inputs, and a backup camera and this fit the bill. I installed it with a Metra 95-3003G double din install kit. This kit isn't the full bezel, it is a trim plate that snaps over your existing bezel (which you trim). It looks good for what it is, although in my case it is temporary as I will be modifying my Escalade bezel at a later date.

Nice snatch! Cheap for all that it is! Sad to see the 02 go, I hope it went to a good home.
Yeah, a co-worker of mine bought it so At least I know where it went. Which is also slightly harder as well.

Yeah, honestly with a bit of work it could be a good suburban again, although it's a bit tired with the high miles.

Which handles? the ones directly above the door? I imagine I might have a spare or two.

Well I am considering putting the 42 gallon burb tank in the back of my dually....

---------------------

YAY MOAR THINGS

Decided it was time after many days thinking about it, that some more stereo upgrades were in order. most of this is just wiring stuff which isn't very exciting, so here are the highlights.

First off was a sub. Without building something custom, my options are limited. I didn't want to take the factory jack tools and tray out, so that leaves under the rear seat. I found a matched 8" Pioneer shallow mount that fits under the seat no problem. Amp fits right next to it.

Part of my stereo system uses a GPS antenna, so I did what I did with my Sirius antenna in the 88 and hid it under a cab light.

And, the stereo installed. I purchased the Pioneer SPH-DA120 AppRadio 4. It's a capacitive touch screen with Apple CarPlay. It doesn't have an optical drive (I haven't used mine in years anyway). Basically my goal was to add handsfree integration, AUX inputs, and a backup camera and this fit the bill. I installed it with a Metra 95-3003G double din install kit. This kit isn't the full bezel, it is a trim plate that snaps over your existing bezel (which you trim). It looks good for what it is, although in my case it is temporary as I will be modifying my Escalade bezel at a later date.

Last edited:

Glad this kit turned out alright. I always have issues with the metra kits and having a double din in an OBS is something you don't see often.

What camera did you end up going with?
It's a generic one off amazon, was like $10 or so.

Awesome! Are you able to still use your steering wheel controls with the new H/U?
Yup, I used a metra ASWC-1 module, it's a self learning unit. It works really well.

-------------

Went down to the wreckers quick to see what they had, and to try and find a non-broken Escalade bezel to replace mine (it's cracked and missing a tab, although still works ok). Ended up finding this woodgrain steering wheel in a conversion van, matches the trim pretty well although it's a shade lighter. Not sure how long it'll stay but I think it helps tie the interior together a little bit.

After getting that in, I just couldn't stand not having the Escalade trim on the dash bezel. I originally didn't want to cut mine up for the double din so I used the OEM bezel first (since I have 3 of them floating around somehow)... well since I found one to modify for later I cut up the one with the crack for the time being. So much better.

That is about it for now. I have another box coming UPS with some more goodies for the dually soon.

What camera did you end up going with?
It's a generic one off amazon, was like $10 or so.

Awesome! Are you able to still use your steering wheel controls with the new H/U?
Yup, I used a metra ASWC-1 module, it's a self learning unit. It works really well.

-------------

Went down to the wreckers quick to see what they had, and to try and find a non-broken Escalade bezel to replace mine (it's cracked and missing a tab, although still works ok). Ended up finding this woodgrain steering wheel in a conversion van, matches the trim pretty well although it's a shade lighter. Not sure how long it'll stay but I think it helps tie the interior together a little bit.

After getting that in, I just couldn't stand not having the Escalade trim on the dash bezel. I originally didn't want to cut mine up for the double din so I used the OEM bezel first (since I have 3 of them floating around somehow)... well since I found one to modify for later I cut up the one with the crack for the time being. So much better.

That is about it for now. I have another box coming UPS with some more goodies for the dually soon.