88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

May 8, 2014
"The triad", NC
Re: 88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

Glad that you were able to put a trans in it. At least you are starting from absolute zero now instead of possibly working around a problem with the case and not finding it. Maybe a machine shop could take a look at the trans case and check that all is square and round for you?

I noticed you mentioned a rough idle. Mine has always idled a little rough as well. Is your idle speed at 625-ish or did black bear change that? Somewhere in the 454 thread I picked up that GM had changed the idle speeds to around the 600s, but NODIH changed his idle so the lowest is 700 rpm (edit: here's the link) . I will be shipping my ECU to Lextech to have this done in the near future, I'll let you know if this clears mine up.

Last edited:

Yeah, I'm giving the old trans to my father so he will take it all apart and probably check it for square.

Actually the last go-round on tunes Justin adjusted a few things, on top of the distributor and timing chain it all seems to have calmed down a good amount. Then to my surprise, the transmission swap got rid of a vibration it once had at idle (imagine that).

Time will tell if the idle stays smooth.

Welp, when I was poking around with the front end I noticed my shocks are about shot. After a bit of reading what people with campers liked, the Rancho 9000 adjustables seemed to be a popular choice. They were on sale, have a $100 rebate and lifetime warranty.... so that is what I ordered.

The old ones were leaking, rears were super worn and soft, and one front wouldn't compress or rebound at all.

Also got the rear wheels polished. Gotta love some shined up aluminum.

colbbi

Jun 20, 2016
Idaho

Just found this thread and signed up IMMEDIATELY. Great work on a beautiful truck.

Sorry to post out of "flow', but what the round parts in front of the mirrors on post #102?

Just found this thread and signed up IMMEDIATELY. Great work on a beautiful truck.

Sorry to post out of "flow', but what the round parts in front of the mirrors on post #102?
Thanks!

Those are the clockspring, it's what the electrical stuff goes through to the steering wheel.

colbbi

Jun 20, 2016
Idaho

DANG!!! I knew that..... I was focused on the overhead consoles and "spaced" the fact you had steering wheels also.

Because of you my wallet is thinner BTW........................ and I love it.....

2 weeks ago I took a sunday drive up to check out my camp spot on the lake, which, unfortunately was under water. Still was a good opportunity to get some photos of the dually.

The last weekend I went and had my big 'ol party in the woods trip. Ended up being about 120 people this year, live music, a DJ, hot tub and lots and lots of booze. Was a great time.

Here is our core camper crew. Don't mind the RAM.

This year, I actually had someone else drive up my 88 to play around with. So for the first time in a long time I had the red truck out to play a little. I can't wait to start giving this thing some lovin'

Was a long, long 4-day weekend for me. Spend a huge chunk of it doing some upgrades to the dually.

First off, I bought a new CB. Uniden Bearcat 880CHR. The CB that was in the truck previously came from the 88 but since it's been out a little more I decided it should go back. This CB is a bit larger than what I was using, but I made it fit only blocking 1 power outlet which is no big deal to me. It has lots of options, including 7-colors of backlighting.

While I was messing around inside I fixed a few burnt out LEDs in the dash. This thing is looking more and more like a ****pit.

I also, FINALLY found the console front block off plate!

But most of the weekend was spent plumbing my onboard air and firestone airbag controls. I've had all this stuff for years and have just neglected to install it.

Instead of using the tiny 1/2 gallon firestone tank, I opted for a 6 gallon tank I had.

Finding a mounting solution took a little bit of time, but I managed to fit it behind the passenger side front rocker panel. I used some angle to mount to two existing bolts up front (for some d-rings I had installed in the bed) and to the wheel well support bolts in the rear.

Then I had to run the lines

And mount the airbag controls.... Another hard part. I almost went with them in the center console but decided against it. Under the dash was not and option as there was just no good space left. I opted to mount them at the suggestion of 83GMCK2500 in the side of the driver seat. Some might give me flack for mounting them where I can't see the gauge, but think about it: airbags are kind of a set it and forget it kinda thing. Level your truck and you are done. IMO it's advantageous to be able to stand and look at the truck while leveling, instead of sitting in the cab. Ran all my wiring and plumbed the lines up under the seat, and wired everything up to the factory fuse block. Running a factory relay in the underhood fuse block, off the 30-amp Aux B post.

Last piece of the puzzle was the pump, which is a small guy for now. Later I'll upgrade to something that runs a little better, hopefully I can run some air tools off it. It was mounted under the driver seat, under the truck. I ran the intake up into the boxed section of the frame to keep crud out.

Another little project I had set aside and hadn't installed, was a set of 4-note Cadillac horns. I decided to install them behind the bumper, and made a plug in pigtail for them. Had to make sure the idiots can hear me.

Now, those who pay close attention to details may have noticed 4 air lines, one of which was a large 1/2" that connected to an electric solenoid on the top of the tank.......... Yeah.....................

So, my father gave me a set of Nathan Air Chime K3 locomotive horns.

These aren't generic air "Train horns" but are actual, legitimate horns used on trains. We will just say, they are quite noticeable. These won't get used too much, mostly just for screwing around when i'm not driving, or when the Caddy horns aren't quite enough.

I was hoping to see those under there! Nice! And what a great location for the gauge.

When my truck gets to be the project the tools are coming out of the toolbox and pump and tank in there and horns underneath, then make my Airlift SlamAir bags fill from the tank and mount the gauge and switch in cab, for now they are manual air up, they are truly set it and forget it unless you have a really heavy load that is not normal.

Just spent 9 days on the Oregon Coast, camping in the sand with the camper riding the quad.

Oregon Coast!!!

I don't stay in any silly campgrounds. I air down and head out into the sand!

Take notice, I ditched all the smoked lighting as well... I'm liking the look more at the moment.

We even drag subaru's out into the sand.

Some misc shots

Broke camp part way during the week to empty and refill camper tanks, stop at the store, and grab more fuel.

I feel like I could use another week down there soon. It's super enjoyable.

Been a minute since I've updated this thread :p

Oh that's right I went camping again. I'd never do that would I?

My partner in crime most trips

Eastern Washington is beautiful in summer.

Have actually been home the last few weekends, the most recent one involved a full wash, clay, wash, cut and polish of the dually. It's amazing how good it looks now.

Done! Oh and I ditched the plasti-dip on the bumper. Not sure if I like this better or before.

And, a snapshot of what is to come.... Something involving Z71 taillight covers.

Wow just wow, this is all so awesome, amazin camping and you just keep making it better and better. So many good ideas for when I tear my truck apart now that I have a DD.