'39 Buick project/restoration

Oct 31, 2007
Kentucky
Re: '39 Buick project/restoration

Hope everyone had a great Christmas/Hanukkah/etc and New Year! Over the past few months between restoring my lawnmower again, doing some PM on the wife's car, and having some medical procedures done in the family, we have been doing what I call - "Grommet, Wire, and Tube Bending Duty." All of the firewall grommets are in. The vacuum advance line is in, the wiring is in, the fule line is in, and the temp and oil pressure lines are in. We'll be attempting to start it the "correct" way and checking gauges soon!

tank454

Sep 15, 2009
Santa Monica, CA

This might be a "too long; didn't read" question, but how long until we should expect to see you rolling through the hills with a trunk full of moonshine?

Oct 31, 2007
Kentucky

thanks guys, as you can see, it's moving along slowly but surely

I expect this winter to have it buttoned up as far as mechanicals go, then it's a matter of getting the body ready for paint, disassembly of the interior and other various parts so it can be painted

we are almost at 7 years of ownership, and 6 years of work now

getting there, I like to watch the shows where they do a car in a month with 25 helpers and unlimited funds, they give me a perspective

and so far, for those that care, I have under $11,000 in the whole thing, including the parts car, not bad I would say

Aug 4, 2010
Kansas City, Mo

One of the things I like about this thread IS slow but diligent work on it. Nothing is half assed and everything is just so clean. It's refreshing and I can 100% relate to slow builds :)

Oct 31, 2007
Kentucky

Got it running like a charm! We have it all hooked up correctly, adjusted the valves, and it starts right up with the gas pedal, and it goes in 1st and reverse beautifully. You can't even feel it running. :rocking:

We are going to bleed the brakes and hopefully make a video of it moving under it's own power for the first time in, what I would estimate, more than 50 years.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2007
Kentucky
Last edited:
Oct 31, 2007
Kentucky

Between the 2 cars, I have/had 2 of all of the chrome and stainless. The stainless is very nice, and I need to have a few pcs rechromed (decklid hinge, center from bumper part). I have sold off much of my extras to the point that the parts car was almost free at this point. Some chrome wasn't done as well as it could have been, but it will work just fine for my car right now when the time comes. It's all really shiny and all, they just didn't fill the pot metal divots all that well. It doesn't make sense to spend thousands to chrome anything on this car to make it go from 90% to 100%. It's just not worth that much.

The rear bumper has a mark in it, so I'll probably have that done eventually. But, I also see them on eBay from time to time for $300-$500. No sense in having it rechromed now when I can't put it on yet anyway. By them I'll find one even cheaper :naughty:

Oct 31, 2007
Kentucky

Between the 2 cars, I have/had 2 of all of the chrome and stainless. The stainless is very nice, and I need to have a few pcs rechromed (decklid hinge, center from bumper part). I have sold off much of my extras to the point that the parts car was almost free at this point. Some chrome wasn't done as well as it could have been, but it will work just fine for my car right now when the time comes. It's all really shiny and all, they just didn't fill the pot metal divots all that well. It doesn't make sense to spend thousands to chrome anything on this car to make it go from 90% to 100%. It's just not worth that much.

The rear bumper has a mark in it, so I'll probably have that done eventually. But, I also see them on eBay from time to time for $300-$500. No sense in having it rechromed now when I can't put it on yet anyway. By them I'll find one even cheaper :naughty: