Kentucky
Re: '39 Buick project/restoration

before and after on the steering wheel:

before is was all cracked so they covered it with one of these:

now it matches the rest of the interior and is solid like it should be:

Oct 31, 2007
Kentucky

not lately, this time of year I spend more time coaching soccer, fishing, and riding my mountain bike

the wiring harness is in, then the fuel line, after that it will be a running and driving vehicle that needs a lot of body work, expect a few years still :aniteef:

I have sold enough parts to pay for my parts car though :rocking: That car was the best decision I've made on the whole project.

Oct 31, 2007
Kentucky

Well, we have been working on disassembling the parts car lately, between fishing trips and whatnot. Here are some photos.

see how badly the torque tube was kinked in the accident (the actual axle housing is bent as well, not sure of any of the guts would be usable??? I don't need them, but extras would be nice):

random bolt welded to the frame (maybe for a shock, though the other side doesn't have one)

random bracket and bolt welded (yes that is welded) to the frame???

here is how they mounted replacement front shocks:

the best part, someone used garden hose pieces to sure up the slack in the rubber that surrounds the torque ball bolts

This car has had many unique modifications and repairs done over the years to keep it on the road. I bet the previous owner had no idea.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2008
Behind you!!!

Well those were creative repairs to say the least. At least it kept the car on the road. Although seeing how things ended that may not have been such a good thing.

Oct 31, 2007
Kentucky

We were able to salvage the firewall pad from the parts car, that another $325 saving! Installed that last week after refreshing it:

hardware before and after:

Oct 31, 2007
Kentucky

No, the "creative repairs" were on stuff I'd already restored on my car. The frame was scrapped and the torque tube water hose bushing was just thrown away so I can sell the steel parts that it went around.

So far I have already sold enough to pay for 1/2 of it, plus over $10k in stuff I needed.