'39 Buick project/restoration

Oct 31, 2007
Kentucky
2 things first:

1. This is a project for now, not a restoration. I bought this car to use for a prop for Mobster Halloween pictures first. I can't tear it down yet because I need it presentable in October. That's what I'm doing now. It will be a full on restoration to 100% original after that (no rat rod, no hot rod)

2. I have ZERO hands-on experience doing this type of thing. Thus, don't expect to learn much from me other than the uniqueness of the car itself.

about the car:

1939 Buick Special Model 41

options added when new:
heater
parking lights
AM radio (the first car to ever have a push button AM radio)
pin striped wheels

standard equipment:
it was originally black with "tan bedford cord" interior
4 ashtrays, no seat belts, no cupholders :wink:
107 HP straight-8 called the "Buick Eight"
3 speed on the column
turn signals (the first car to ever have standard turn signals)

here are initial pics, including proof that I have done some work to it :D

Remember if you question my techniques, refer to rule #1 until 11/1/09 :read: :D

looking through the trunk after I vacuumed the loose rust, acorns, and dead mouse skeletons (about 5-6 of those):

:eek: The first time I've sanded on sheet metal.

Renee took the 1950's covers off the seats. They actually look better without them:

before:

after:

Oct 31, 2007
Kentucky
Re: '39 Buick project/restoration

Basically for now I'm going to get the pass side sanded and primed since we only need one side for pictures.

I'm also browsing eBay for deals on parts I'll need down the road. I scored a rear badge for $23 yesterday :rocking: (They are $65-$75 from the resto parts mags.)

I hope some of you will find this as interesting as I do. I just love the look and style of these old cars.

hoseman44

Nov 13, 2005
somerset nj

that thing is cool I hope it goes well for you man and it takes some cahones to do something like this as a first timer. good luck ill be lurking on this one want to see how it comes out.

Sep 19, 2005
Tuscaloosa, AL

I've been looking forward to see some progress on this. :cool: I might have to make a little road trip after you start doing some real work on it. :D

Aug 21, 2003

:rocking: i grew up around old caddys and buicks....sadly i never took the time to learn much about them but my uncle specializes in restoring cars from this time period. mostly hot rods though, more so than 100% resto

Oct 31, 2007
Kentucky

AntiBling said:
So what did you have to give for that?

Needs to be lower. :aniteef:
I blew the budget.

$1800...I went to see it the day it was listed on CL and 2 freaking other guys came and went while I was there to see it :teddy:

I waited a couple of days and he wasn't coming down obviously.

More than I wanted to spend, but for being so solid and having 99% of the parts I couldn't pass it up (plus it was only 20 miles from my house)

I can paint it any 1939 Buick color I want because the heater lines were installed by drilling through the ID plate (I've learned this was common) so you can't tell what color it was supposed to be. As long as it's a 1939 Buick color of some sort, it's considered A-OK!

and it won't be lower :nono:...it will look like this in due time (black would be great, but requires way, way more perfect work to be right):

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2007
Kentucky

BHB said:
What are your plans for the car once it's completed?
drive it, show it, enjoy it

You know I thought about just using it for Halloween and then flipping it. That was my original intention. It's more than I can handle for the most part...but then Dad the master car restorer saw it and he loves it as much as I do. He wants to tear the whole thing down right now, but i know if he did, it would not be usable in October.

I'm lucky to have him and my brother around for this when the time comes.

Oct 31, 2007
Kentucky

AntiBling said:
Well you might as well blow your budget some more and get a DA sander and an air compressor if you don't have one, you're going to get frustrated very fast using a sander that's meant for woodworking.

:LOL:
no kidding--:lol: It works for all I need now. I've got a compressor, but it's not strong enough to run a DA all the time. After October it will be moved to Dad's and he's got all the stuff. I only need one side and part of the roof sanded down and primed for the pictures. I already have the part shown and the entire rear pass fender done.

Oct 31, 2007
Kentucky

yeah...that's all stuff I'll be thinking about--I'm definitely keeping the engine original--it will go from this:

to this:

I think the Dynaflash just looks too cool.

The car only weighs 3700lbs, so it should move ok. There are no posted TQ #'s, but the Buick forums say it's faster than you would think.

They make exact copy radial whitewalls for it too, so I can lose the bias tires. I've been told the brakes aren't the best, but again, the car is fairly light, so we'll see.

Oct 26, 2008
Indiana

Sweet. slight modernizations would not be noticeable in the pics if your talking comfort and safety. I can recommend an upolsterer for interior. If you willing to go over to WV. my dad lives no too far from you just on the other side of Huntington.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2007
Kentucky

BlackSierra said:
Sweet. slight modernizations would not be noticeable in the pics if your talking comfort and safety. I can recommend an upolsterer for interior. If you willing to go over to WV. my dad lives no too far from you just on the other side of Huntington.
I'll remember that-thanks! Huntington is only about 2 hours from me. I have no idea what will end up being involved in making the interior look like it should be---I guess he would just work off pictures and what is in it now to get it right :dunno: