2001 Burb' Build

Jul 27, 2004
Landenberg, PA
Well.... Meet the new "project"! :cool:

As I updated the RCSB build thread..... the RCSB was totaled back in early March. Since then, I'd been back DDing the HD. I enjoyed driving it again. But, as always, I was itching for a replacement DD to keep the mileage/wear/tear off the HD. Once the dust settled from the RCSB settlement..... I was left with some money and I still had the RCSB. As much as I loved that truck, and I debated for a long time about trying to straighten it out and "restore" it, it was bent bad and would take ALOT of time and money to get it back where I'd want it. And, I'd STILL have a reg cab that wasn't ideal for our family of 5.

So, the search began..... Couple requirements! Early NBS... SUV or EC/CC Silverado?!? Pewter (reuse parts from RCSB). As rust free as you could get for the age. And, fit within my "DD budget"! CL and online searches were bringing up a lot of vehicles... But, bc of their age and life in the Northeast, they were becoming badly rotted out and full of "character" (dents, scrapes, miscolored body parts). By this point I'd pretty much given up on another pickup.... I have the HD for that. Focus was set on Tahoes/Burbs.

And, then I found it! Within my "budget", 98% rust free, nearby.... The perfect family hauler!!!!

It's a Pewter 01' Suburban. LS package. Full shale/pewter leather. 2nd row bench. 4wd, 5.3, 3.73s. Factory tow package. "Tinted to match" front windows and a new replacement Flowmaster. Aftermarket 20" rims, with chrome issues, so they'd painted them black. And, the guy demolded/debadged the doors. Other than that, stock!

Pics.... I haven't had a chance to clean it up yet or take many pics. But, will do in the near future.

Interior...

Plans:

- HD hood (RCSB)
- CAI (RCSB)
- Ford keys/Bilsteins 5100s (RCSB)
- DIY BL (RCSB)
- Wheels/Tires (RCSB)
- Headlights/corners/foglights (RCSB)
- Stereo (RCSB)
- Colormatching - handles, mirrors, bumper cap (some parts from RCSB)
- Black Valance (RCSB)

Basically.... If you couldn't tell yet?!? I'm building the "family hauler" Burb' version of my old RCSB! So far.... I love this thing and the kids love it too! Rides and drives great. I don't like the black wheels, at all....Not my style!

I'll update this "build" as I make progress transforming this stocker into a clean, mildly modified, DD!

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2004
Landenberg, PA
Re: 2001 Burb' Build

So.... It's been almost two weeks of ownership. I'm loving this thing! Rides and drives great. Doesn't feel like you're even driving a big ol' Burb'.

I've gotten a few things done so far..... Swapped over from the RCSB.

Put the aftermarket, non yellowed, headlights in. And, mint HD stock corners.

Swapped over the Pewter mirror caps and bowtie from the RCSB. Freshened them up!

Then, I couldn't handle the black wheels anymore!!!! Threw the FJs and 33" MTZs on. No rubbing!

Finally.... HD hood! BEEFY looking now IMO.

BadChevyZ-71

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2004
Jacksonville, FL

Hate to see what happened to the RCSB. The burb is look great though so far though. Besides swapping stuff over from the RCSB what other plans do you have for it?

Jul 27, 2004
Landenberg, PA

Thanks guys!

Basically planning to build the "family hauler" Burb' version if the RCSB. Make a great looking DD that can still haul the family, tow a trailer to the mountains, and be a side job tool hauler.

Jul 27, 2004
Landenberg, PA

Got my Green CAI installed today!

Cleaned, scrubbed, and vacuumed carpets.

Swapped 6.5" Pioneer door speakers in all (4) doors. Trying to decide what to do with a replacement 8" slim sub....?!?

Changed cabin air filters, yuck!!! And, swapped in the RCSBs blower resistor, as I only had spd. 5.

Jul 27, 2004
Landenberg, PA

So, today, after reading a forum thread about an aftermarket alarm/remote starter setup.... I was curious. I knew the Burb seemed to have an aftermarket alarm... I thought!?! Previous owner never mentioned it... Only that he only got one key and fob with it when he bought it.

I knew it had a small Directed RF Plus antenna inside the windshield. No small toggles or valet switches... But, I could see some additional wiring under the column, an aftermarket black box, and an underhood mercury switch mounted on the hood lamp bracket.

After reading the forum thread, I looked into it alittle more.... Did the Burb have a remote start as well!?! Tried what I read on there by pressing the lock button 3x... Nothing! I tried a combination of things.... Then I held down the lock & unlock at the same time... Bingo!!!! Burb fired up!

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2004
Landenberg, PA

Well.... A couple pics from today. *Was gonna wash/detail it, but no point..... rain tonight, tomorrow, and Tuesday.

Got the stock taillights candied/cleared. Much better IMO.

Jul 27, 2004
Landenberg, PA

Thanks!!! I've seen the P3s in ads.... Not in person.

Got all the 2" wheel spacers swapped on now, new front rotors/pads, and colormatched the handles. Next will be colormatching the front bumper cap and swapping over the RCSB black lower valance.