1991 Chevy C1500 Project

91chevyss

Feb 1, 2013
georgia
Re: 1991 Chevy C1500 Project

got some compressor brackets made. gonna weld them to the frame possibly today. will get some pics though. also got some more fittings for the bags.

91chevyss

Feb 1, 2013
georgia

didnt put the brackets on since im debating on whether or not to have a raised bed floor. Ill keep the stock front and rear section of the bed floor to mount the fuel cell and tank and compressors and put the raised bed floor above it. Ill make the center of it raise up so I can get to everything. It would be something similar to doored454's truck. then everything would be out of the weather and wouldnt have to worry about my fuel cell catching anything since its aluminum

91chevyss

Feb 1, 2013
georgia

father in law has plenty of square tubing just would have to buy the sheet of metal not sure on the gauge though. what would yall use?

Last edited:

91chevyss

Feb 1, 2013
georgia

Got the rear end detached from the truck tonight. gonna wait till tomorrow to pull it out from under the truck. I need to relocate my spring perches to fix some of my pinion angle for the 2 link. I think I should have went with a 4 link but I guess I wait and see how this turns out. Ill go ahead and clean up the rear end while I have it out and I may paint it. And I ordered the triple gauge pillar pod and a set of avs 200 psi gauges with blue led and gauge fittings.

91chevyss

Feb 1, 2013
georgia

got the rear end out and cleaned it up a little bit and got the plates off just need to set them in the right place and weld them again. will try to get pics tomorrow.

91chevyss

Feb 1, 2013
georgia

got the rear end back under the truck and got everything bolted in place where I wanted it and got the mounts tacked in place and let the frame down to check the pinion angle and everything checked out ok so I unhooked the 2 link and rolled the axle over and my father in law fully welded the mounts on both sides. I have a pic from yesterday when I set the rear end under the truck with primer. Also got the pan hard bar painted and bushings installed and may get it welded in tomorrow. Also my avs gauges and gauge pod came in today. I painted the gauge pod the same color blue and may set the gauges in and secure it to the truck for the time being just need some 1/8 line. Here's the pics I took.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

91chevyss

Feb 1, 2013
georgia

also may paint the 2 link tomorrow and clean up the frame some more. Ill take some pics of the mounts welded in place if I remember.

91chevyss

Feb 1, 2013
georgia

waiting on my blue leds to come in since I forgot to put it in the details when I ordered the gauges so I got whites ones which still look cool but I want to see what the blue will look like and I got enough to do my dash cluster and avs gauges. and my radio and tach have blue lights as well.

91chevyss

Feb 1, 2013
georgia

took my dr. side inner fender out today and seeing if I relocate my washer tank more toward the front but may not have a set place until I get new tubs. It looks like it will work by just moving the rear bolt hole forward to the front bolt hole location and getting a longer piece of hose and possibly adding wire to the harness. will take a pic later and yall tell me what you think.

91chevyss

Feb 1, 2013
georgia

Got the pan hard bar welded up last night and started welding on one of the upper bag mount and ran out of wire. I let the truck down to check the pan hard bar movement and it looked good. Got some more wire today and hopefully Ill finish up both upper bag mounts and start on the lower bag mounts tomorrow.

91chevyss

Feb 1, 2013
georgia

here are some pics I took. Also my blue leds came in today and got those put in as well.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

91chevyss

Feb 1, 2013
georgia

got the upper bag mounts welded in today and removed pass. front inner fender from the truck. Debating on where I should mount the battery, either in the bed or same location but need a way to secure it to the truck. Also trying to figure out how tall I should make my lower bag mounts on top of the axle. The bags should collapse just under 3 inches and extend around 10.50 inches but should I go by the frame touching the ground under the rear side of the cab or at the back of the truck at the roll pan as far as the truck layed and bags compressed. Also since I have 20s and may go to 22s sometime in the future should I just give myself an extra inch or should it be two inches. any help would be appreciated.

91chevyss

Feb 1, 2013
georgia

I went and visited my buddy's obs chevy cant even remember the year lol. Its early 90s though. But he is doing a stock floor body drop on 24s. its still a rolling chassis right now but looking good. when I got home i started tearing down the front. only got the driver front coil and shock taken out and bolted everything back up let the jack down so I can check clearances. but only got as far as the letting the jack down lol but I am tucking a little and its sitting on the inner side of the fender. was gonna take a pic but it was kind of dark, will get one tomorrow. I plan on taking out the pass. side coil and shock and cut some out of both fenders tomorrow.

Last edited:

91chevyss

Feb 1, 2013
georgia

I got some pics yesterday but havent uploaded them yet. The frame is about an inch off the ground in the front with it sitting on the fenders. I done a little trimming to the pass. side frame like the piece of metal that hangs off the frame and above the rear side of the lca and some trimming to frame where the front side of the lca goes up. Also bolted up the upper bag cup to see what it looked like and set the lower bag cup in place and Im wanting to clear something up. my lower bag cups are slanted and want to know if the lower side goes to the inside or outside of the lca. I was thinking inside but want to be sure before I start welding.

91chevyss

Feb 1, 2013
georgia

here are the pics I took yesterday. The back side of the frame under the cab is laying and need another inch for the front part. the first pick it was sitting on two 2x4s. the rest are on the fender on tire.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

91chevyss

Feb 1, 2013
georgia

Man that is some work cutting and grinding out the spring pockets with out a plasma cutter and trying to put the lca back on lol. I did finish both sides but will check clearance a few more times before I get everything back together. I checked the pass. side with bag cups in and lca jacked up and I can get a finger all the way around but I havent dehumped the lca yet so not sure if how much that will matter. Will try to dehump both lcas tomorrow and notch for tie rods and tack the lower cups in also. My lower cups are angled so that it keeps the bag away from the frame and not sure if all cups are like that. Also I notched the frame above the front part of lcas. Here somes pic I took. didnt get one with bag in but will tomorrow.
cut out for lower bag nut access.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

91chevyss

Feb 1, 2013
georgia

almost finished dehumping both lcas. Got both cut out and welded plates to the both of them just need to weld pieces on the ends to close it up. have a few pics that I will post tomorrow. And I have one lower bag cup tacked in place. bout to be on my third roll of wire lol. If it doesnt rain tomorrow I will try to notch for the tie rods. I think I will need to notch out the upper control arms the driver side for sure. will get pics if I do anything. I also ordered some ptc fittings for the setup. Question, are the numatics ptc fittings dot or just the smc ptc and should I just get only dot approved? The numatic fittings also have a higher psi rating.