1991 Chevy C1500 Project

91chevyss

Feb 1, 2013
georgia
I wasnt going to do a build thread at first but I figure what the heck. The truck is a 91 chevy 1500 scsb that originally came with onyx black and quick silver metallic with gt on the door. It had the car phone and 15 x 10s and only a broken grill when I got it. I purchased the truck in June of 2005 and had it ever since. I do have some photos of before I done any major work to it but Ill have to find them. Over the years Ive done quite a fews things. I believe the first thing I done was 2" drop shackles and since then Ive added calvu sport mirrors, upgraded to 94-98 grill with billet insert, shaved my door handles, tailgate handle, taillights, gas door, stake pockets, antenna, cab corners, cargo light, and steel roll pan. I use to have the corvette roll pan but it was fiberglass so it had to go. I've wrecked it once when the stop sign came to fast at a left or right dead end causing me to run off and hit a tree denting my hood, breaking my driver side tie rod, spider webbed my windsheild and bending my bumper brackets since then I have fixed what was damaged especially replacing my hood with a 2" cowl hood. One of the biggest things I want done is for it to be painted because its been primer for atleast 2 years now. The body shop that I done most of my work has the paint already, its viper gtx blue. And its already been painted between the cab and bed. I think thats enough for right now but Ill add more later. If anyone has any questions or suggestions let me know.

kiing23

Mar 16, 2011
Dallas
Re: 1991 Chevy C1500 Project

I wasnt going to do a build thread at first but I figure what the heck. The truck is a 91 chevy 1500 scsb that originally came with onyx black and quick silver metallic with gt on the door. It had the car phone and 15 x 10s and only a broken grill when I got it. I purchased the truck in June of 2005 and had it ever since. I do have some photos of before I done any major work to it but Ill have to find them. Over the years Ive done quite a fews things. I believe the first thing I done was 2" drop shackles and since then Ive added calvu sport mirrors, upgraded to 94-98 grill with billet insert, shaved my door handles, tailgate handle, taillights, gas door, stake pockets, antenna, cab corners, cargo light, and steel roll pan. I use to have the corvette roll pan but it was fiberglass so it had to go. I've wrecked it once when the stop sign came to fast at a left or right dead end causing me to run off and hit a tree denting my hood, breaking my driver side tie rod, spider webbed my windsheild and bending my bumper brackets since then I have fixed what was damaged especially replacing my hood with a 2" cowl hood. One of the biggest things I want done is for it to be painted because its been primer for atleast 2 years now. The body shop that I done most of my work has the paint already, its viper gtx blue. And its already been painted between the cab and bed. I think thats enough for right now but Ill add more later. If anyone has any questions or suggestions let me know.
Lets see some pictures.........................

91chevyss

Feb 1, 2013
georgia

ok just recent or old ones? Im having a hard time finding the old ones on my computer. Heres the most recent with my new bumper with billet just havent put the valance on and the grill is out.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

91chevyss

Feb 1, 2013
georgia

Im in the process of pulling my engine and trans so I can rebuild my trans with a transgo 700-2-3 shift kit and corvette servo and .500 boost valve and of course new clutches and kevlar band. Also I have to pull my driver side head to get shaved because I blew my pass side gasket between the cylinders and my head was off and had to be shaved. And I didnt feel like pulling my trans from the bottom with the truck that low. but here are some pics
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

91chevyss

Feb 1, 2013
georgia

I thought I would post this burnout vid its an old one but had been a while since I purchased the truck. At this time it still had the tbi and stock rear end gears and some 15x8s that I traded my 15x10 tear drops for. Also its just one tire lol and excuse the music.

91chevyss

Feb 1, 2013
georgia

it was my wife lol. Im not sure if asked you in your post but why it wouldnt turn both its not posi but lsd and isnt the other one suppose to break loose if the other one looses traction. Since I installed my 3.73s its managed to turn both every once in a while. I was planning on getting the posi trac or true trac or whatever it was called but it has to wait for now.

Mar 8, 2010
Central, Louisiana
it was my wife lol. Im not sure if asked you in your post but why it wouldnt turn both its not posi but lsd and isnt the other one suppose to break loose if the other one looses traction. Since I installed my 3.73s its managed to turn both every once in a while. I was planning on getting the posi trac or true trac or whatever it was called but it has to wait for now.
I'd go with Truetrac or Valuetrac since they are the same thing.

As far as I know a LSD never actually locks, it supposedly reduces the torque given to the slipping wheel so that doesn't always mean the stationary wheel will get enough torque to spin.

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 2

91chevyss

Feb 1, 2013
georgia

oh ok I just didnt know much about it. people use tell me to go in reverse a little bit and stop and then take off lol i tried it once may have done it wrong but still only spun one. I hoping I can pull my engine and trans tomorrow. And may unbolt the trans and stick the motor back in the truck some how.

91chevyss

Feb 1, 2013
georgia

Lets see some pictures.........................
went through my computer and my wife has so many pics on here lol not but Ill post some earlier pics there not the first but after I started sanding and other stuff Ive changed including my two tone snow paint job lol.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

91chevyss

Feb 1, 2013
georgia

Looks like good progress there. What's Ur plans for paint? And the front end

The whole thing will be viper gtx blue you can see a little bit on the last pic at the back side of the cab. I got to get another paintable grille because I broke and cracked mine in a couple places and I dont think its fixable lol but it was a cheap one and Im thinking about trying to find a good one from the junk yard and peel the chrome or find one off a tahoe because Im not paying 300-400 for a new factory one. Ill stick my billet in it that will go along with my new bumper which will be painted. I plan on getting a smoked headlight set but probably wont get it till after my truck is painted. The valance I have now I cut and put fog lights in it but I kinda want the factory valance with fog light cut out and get some factory fog lights and brackets but im not sure how it will look with the bumper i have if nothing else I may just get a plain valance. Also I had intentions to paint the valance but Im not sure now. Im thinking the truck will look plain but wont know till its painted but I was thinking ghost stripes on the hood not sure though.

Mar 8, 2010
Central, Louisiana
That's gonna be a awesome lookin color. Not a fan of smoked headlights but it prob won't be bad if the whole front end is painted. I would recommend getting the nbs Z71 Tahoe round fog lights and cutting a new valance to fit them. Would look damn good if u place them under the outside edges of the parking lights.

Definitely don't paint the valance. Makes the front end like it has a huge chin hanging off the front.

91chevyss

Feb 1, 2013
georgia

Thanks. Not only that I was worried about paint sticking but I think I will leave it black. Do you have a link to those fog lights? Also pulled motor and trans today a little aggervating but I got it. And I pulled the trans from the motor and got it sitting on the table ready for the rebuild. Ill post pics later but there still daylight so back to work lol.

91chevyss

Feb 1, 2013
georgia

well I dont have tails just led light bar with reverse but would like another alternative with my tailgate down. I was thinking about mounted a light on each side behind the tailgate. Also third brake is gone which was only a cargo light on mine. The mustang has smoke tails and heads.

91chevyss

Feb 1, 2013
georgia

alright here are some pics when i pulled the motor.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG] Also the pick where my head is painted Im gonna paint the other one when it gets shaved and I already have the intake painted and sanded down the writing.
[/IMG]

Mar 8, 2010
Central, Louisiana
well I dont have tails just led light bar with reverse but would like another alternative with my tailgate down. I was thinking about mounted a light on each side behind the tailgate. Also third brake is gone which was only a cargo light on mine. The mustang has smoke tails and heads.
That's even better, no cargo or tails lol. Looks better with em shaved anyway.

I'd stick with the LED light bar and don't ride with the tailgate down, not sure when you would need to? But u could always put LED strips flush in the top of the tailgate facing upward and lightly smoke them so if u flip ur tailgate down for some reason you will have lights there.

Last edited: