1990 SB Bag and Build thread

Sep 9, 2009
Illinois
Re: 1990 SB Bag and Build thread

Progress is progress! Looking good man.
i know how you feel about the time. Good job getting back at it!
You've become quite the fabricator.Done anymore work? Love the 4 post!

Those rear calipers have a parking brake?
Thanks all for checking in. Keeps me motivated. I have done a litte more to it but still have been working crazy hours. I work for an ammunition manufacturer so that might give you an idea of what kind of workload we have been under..(given the current events). I plan on working on it some tonight when i get off work (midnight) and hopefully tomorow ( the wife has a baby shower so i should have most of the day to myself). And to answer your other question troy..no they dont have a parking brake. They are just S10 front calipers...Pretty much did the same swap as what is in the FSC tech articles. Other than I went with Jeep grand cherokee rotors instead of the impalas. Didnt really see much need for a E brake when the truck lays body..lol

Sep 9, 2009
Illinois

Well.. got a little more done. Been finding a few hours here and there to work on the old girl. Work is still tying up most of my hours and been doing a few things around the house as well to keep the wife happy..:cool:.

Got the rear hardlines bent up, hoses on and brakes bleed. Pedal feels pretty good but wont really know until i drive it. On jackstands the rear brakes stopped on a dime...that is after i remembered to hook the vacume line up to the booster...:whatever:

I routed it right under the lower link brackets then connected with the factory s10 front hoses

Looking at this pic it kinda looks like the hose is pinched but its really not..I will however keep an eye on it and it really could benifit from some 45 degree fittings. I wanted to keep with the "stock parts" theme though for easy replacement and because I'm cheap.

welded up the front frame horns...drivers side came out a litte nicer because i had to stetch to weld the pass side..but never the less it is painted and will never be seen again anyways

This is how the fender gap is going to turn out..Looks pretty good IMO

Then went on to mounting the front shocks...what a royal pain in the ass this was.. Have no clue what type of shocks the mounts that were already on these A arms were for but the must have been way shorter that the ones i have and could only have had a few inches of travel..lol. Never the less i press on and fabbed my own upper and lower mounts and mouted a C10 shock up. Came out pretty good and I can turn lock to lock. (Ill post a pic up later on how close they are to the inside of the wheel.)
Old mounts

New mounts..found a shock tab laying around and just drilled the hole bigger for a stud mount. Then i made a duplicate of that out of some flat plate.

Also painted the core support and mounted my new (used) radiator...More to this story later...

Thats it for now ...I have done a few more things but no pics right now. If i work on it some more Ill update this weekend.

Last edited:

jmig

Aug 1, 2005
maryland

I like how you ran your brake lines in the rear, I was thinking of doing something similar but closer to the diff. X2 on the time available to work on the truck, thinking about taking a personnel day to get some stuff done:)

jmig

Aug 1, 2005
maryland

I like how you ran your brake lines in the rear, I was thinking of doing something similar but closer to the diff. X2 on the time available to work on the truck, thinking about taking a personnel day to get some stuff done:)

Sep 9, 2009
Illinois

Thanks.. I actually would have liked to run route them along the diff a little closer but i just used off the shelf brake lines from napa. That was the shortest length they had so didnt have much of a choice as i dont have a flaring tool.

I actually wasnt going to tell anyone but... a couple months ago i had a little incident where i was pulling my truck on to the lift (with no brakes...:wtf:) and I came in a little hot while my friend was standing in front of the lift, guiding me onto the ramps, guess i freaked him out and he pushed on the core support and knocked the radiator into the fan. :rolleyes:. I felt really bad because i know i scared the $hit out of him...but i did have the runway stops in and i had several blocks so he wasnt in any real danger but never the less i decided brakes were the next thing to knock out and the reason why i picked up some off the shelf lines. I'll post pictures of the carange to the radiator and fan sometime. Lesson was learned though and I'm just glad noone got hurt.

Dec 1, 2009
Virginia

glad no one was hurt... would have scared the sh!t outta me too!

glad to see some progress... thinking i might redo my rear brake lines now before the bed goes on..haha

Sep 13, 2010
South GA

Very nice looking work bro! Love how clean you did the brake lines and i really like how you did the front shocks :) Wanna see it finally all together!! Cant wait! :)

Sep 9, 2009
Illinois

So i need your guys help with something... I was surfing my local CL the other day and spotted an air ride tank for super cheap..It has 8 ports and is probably about 12 gallons or so. This sucker is huge compared to my 5 gallon. Its steel and looks like it was only used for a short time (very little rust inside). I was honestly looking for another 5 gallon to add to my current one but this one was so cheap i couldnt pass it up. Problem is.. i was looking it over to see if i could find a gallon size on it somewhere or a makers mark..and i noticed it said it was a 150psi max pressure. It also had a date on it of June 1990...which shocked the hell out of me due to how nice it looks. I have 2 viar compressors with a 165 on 200 off pressure switch. Should I just get a new pressure switch like a 110 on 150 off? I have been airing my truck up with shop air and this thing gets stupid lift with only 120 psi. Doubt i will every be running that much in the bags anyways. I also saw a 140 on 180 off. Not really sure i should chance somthing like this though. This tank might have been built back in the day when people used lower pressure setups or something.

Let me know what you guys think. Also i will try to get a picture of this thing when i get a chance.

Sep 13, 2010
South GA

Bro, every tank ive seen for sale on every sight says 150 psi max.. even your compressors are 150 max. Im guessing its the psi they have to meet to sell these products as what they are, and they only test them to make sure they meet that range.

Sep 9, 2009
Illinois

Wasnt going to update this but its a slow night at work and i had a little time. Been tieing up some loose ends in the front end. Got the frame knockouts punched out for the eccentric bolts for a little more camber. Finished front shocks and painted tubular arms since i had to do some welding on them. Had to replace input shaft seal on the gearbox since it all of a suddend decided to start leaking like crazy. Then pretty much nut and bolted everything to make sure i didnt miss anything up front and aligned it as close as possible before i take it to my friend. Also she got to touch the grass for the first time ever so that was kind of exciting. Heres a couple pics to keep you guys interested.

pic somewhere close to ride height...Wheels tuck perfect now..So might be able to cruise lower most of the time

Here is a panoramic shot with my HTC one that i was playing around with. Its actually from my garage roof. Check out the 6 legged dog in the driveway...lol

In the process of finishing the rear shocks now. Then i think i can call the fab work DONE. Then its on to raising the bed floor. Hopefully with any luck this thing will have a bed on it in the next few weeks

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2009
Illinois

does look nice. but might i ask.... i thought the stock UCA had those bolts already. do they not? my alignment shop had no problem with mine but then again i still have inner fenders stock so i cannt go that low! :( YET that is.lol
Good question.. I had wondered from the start how the hell i was going to align the camber on this thing....Read this link

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/...ter-knock-outs-how-tell-if-you-have-them.html

My truck had the same straight bolts as this truck did... Luckily i have a friend that scraps all the time and was able to snag some of those eccentric bolts from a truck that he had. BTW my knockouts were a real biotch to get out...only one of the 4 came out easily for me. I actually had to go back in with a die grinder and clean mine up a bit...it was like they were hardly punched out at all on my truck.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2009
Illinois

o ok... good to know.
i know my trucks knockouts where already gone. :) one good thing! so i just need the eccentric bolts once i go real low. where did you buy your bolts from?
If your knockouts were already gone than it leads me to believe that you already have the correct bolts. Also due to the fact that you had it aligned already. They wouldnt be able to adjust the camber if you didnt have the correct bolts. According to that thread the later trucks had them and they were just installed straight up or down... or 0*. But if not look at the pics again...if they look like pic 4 of that thread than those are what i had...and you need to get the ones with the eccentric washers like pic 5. I didnt have to buy mine...a buddy was scrapping a truck and i snagged them off of it before he took it.

Last edited:

o ok. ya i just checked and i guess i do have the right bolts already then. good to know atleast! now im just waiting for my MMW arms to magically show up some day :) dang name your price special was 4-6weeks time frame estimated... it will be 4weeks next week ill be excited when i come home and theres a mystery box waiting for me :) to bad ill just be staring at them probably till spring. o well.