1990 SB Bag and Build thread

Sep 9, 2009
Illinois
First of all if it wasnt for this site i wouldnt have had the guts to tackle this on my own...So thank you all for that.

The truck is a 1990 Chevy Cheyenne work truck. I bought this truck about 5 years ago from a family member that lived in the country and it just wasnt what he needed. It had close to a 5/7 with no notch..(ya i know...it rode like $hit). About 3 years ago i was sitting at a stoplight when a 2000s chevy 3/4 ton decided not to stop. So i bought the truck back with the intention of fixing it up. I work long hours sometimes 6 or 7 days a week so that left little time. But now i have a little more time to myself so here it is. Oh ya by the way... i wasnt even going to do a build thread till i was much farther in the game but i figured that wouldnt be much fun for everyone else and also this is my first build up of any vehicle so im sure people will have some good input from time to time. Also you guys will notice my Adult ADD from time to time because i kinda just do things when i get time or if i get bored of doing something. Also camera is $hitty so if there is any pics that anyone would like to see more clear ...i could steal the GF good camera for other pics ...but I got the old one so it will do...

Task list:
Bagging it (obviously)
94 gauge cluster swap
454 SS 14 bolt rearend swap
Rear disc swap (for the 14 bolt)
Interior color change
Power window conversion
efan swap
Headers...new exhaust
Shave doors,tailgate,gas filler, stakes, antenna
2 tone maroon and black paint
POSSIBLY a trad. body drop after i get it on the road again before i paint

Engine...is already a 350 .40 over with bigger injectors (never had them out just what i was told..who knows...Is there a way to tell???)and a chip...Im going to be giving it a good tune up and putting headers on....Possibly a small blower after the truck is nearly complete
Tranny was new 10xxx miles before wreck ...so im good there

Nothing to major...I just want to make a nice clean driver that is nice to look at and drives good...On with the pics...(i cant seem to find any of when i first got it but when i do ill post em up)

Pics of it on jackstands...i have a mint white bed for it that i got for 300 bucks cause my old one was really f'd up..look at sig

I started with the front...
Notch for tierod

I did this different than most...My arms that lay 22s needed alot of modifying to lay. I simply pie cut it and then beat the lower portion to meet up with the top then welded it up

also had to take a little out of the upper portion where the lower control arm bolts in

Should lay on a 30" tire..I only have 20s right now so this will be more than enough

For future referance dont buy tubular control arms to bag ur truck....It probably would have just been easier to de-hump my factory arms and install moogs...than to pie cut the frame...I got my arms pretty much for free so im not complaining...but I wouldnt spend 600 bucks on a set...All in all the tubulars look nice and the notching wasnt hard...just time consuming and pretty aggrevating to say the least...considering they advertise to lay on 22s with minimal cutting...

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2009
Illinois
Re: 1990 SB Bag and Build thread NO 56K

Also here are a few pics of stuff i have for the install
454 SS 14 bolt

S10 calipers and speedway brackets for rear disk setup

Bye bye moonies!

Just finished this tonight...Not to hard just alot of soldering...Also i labled all wires that i had multiples of just so i could keep track...I also had to run a tach wire

Misc parts

And just for fun and i forgot to mention the biggest reason the truck was on the back burner...New 24x32garage!!

No garage/mancave would be complete without a bar, kegerator and 42 inch plasma

and a pool table

Thats it for now...Hopefully i will get started on the rear this week..im working 6 days this week so maybe sunday or early next week

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2007
Edmonton

WOW. nice build you got going on here. you're lucky you found one of those rear ends. are you going to get a nbs master cylinder, i've read that your pedal might feel low because it has to push more fluid out back. i don't know anything about bags but looks like a good setup. oh and the garage is awesome i want to build one in my backyard. it would be a perfect hang out like yours.

Feb 20, 2006
North Carolina
Re: 1990 SB Bag and Build thread

Looks like you're off to a good start. I too have tubular control arms, they're nice but they do require a lot of trimming to lay 22" wheels. I love the garage except for the 'Cowboy's" frig.

Sep 9, 2009
Illinois

WOW. nice build you got going on here. you're lucky you found one of those rear ends. are you going to get a nbs master cylinder, i've read that your pedal might feel low because it has to push more fluid out back. i don't know anything about bags but looks like a good setup. oh and the garage is awesome i want to build one in my backyard. it would be a perfect hang out like yours.
Thanks alot! It will be slow progress cause im doin it by myself but ill get there.... I belive i got real lucky on the rearend...i was actually i was talking to a friend about wanting one and he said that he stumbled onto one on craigslist the night before...So i called and picked it up the next day for 300 bucks...it has 3.73s and the factory posi...supposivly with 70xxx miles but it looks awful rusty also the brake lines were cut...but thats no biggie..Still for 300 bucks i would have got it even if it has 200xxx...Im not sure on the master cylinder yet...ive heard mixed reviews... some say the pedal felt great and some say it was spongy...Ill probably just do the swap first and go from there

Sep 9, 2009
Illinois

Looks like you're off to a good start. I too have tubular control arms, they're nice but they do require a lot of trimming to lay 22" wheels. I love the garage except for the 'Cowboy's" frig.
Ya the trimming is kinda BS if you ask me...you would think they could have got the geometry a little better than that...but oh well...and LOL to the kegarator.....even tho sometimes i dont know why i gotta stick by my boys....NEXT YEAR ITS ON!!!

Sep 9, 2009
Illinois

Well ... not a big update but got a little more done....and got the POS camera working better so its not so blurry...I dropped the tank....cut the leaf springs and rear hangers out. and removed the 10 bolt....Im waiting on some bigger u bolts for the 14 bolt because im using the lower bars from a bolt in kit and they have bolt on brackets...heres some pics..

down to bare frame...

sectioned crossmember about 1.5 inches...ended up more like 1.25 when i welded it back together

here are a couple of better pics of the front setup and 454 SS rearend

but thats all for now im working alot again so progress is slow....ill try to get some better pics up of the actual truck since the camera is working now

Aug 16, 2009
SC

Great start!
I see you got that bigas dominator in there.
You have a similar shop floor to mine, heads up if you didn't already know, I put the clear coat down on my floor and it doesn't like gas all, Discolored mine. Also if a tire spins even slightly it'll mark it bad.
What do you have in the works for your rear link setup?

Sep 9, 2009
Illinois

Great start!
I see you got that bigas dominator in there.
You have a similar shop floor to mine, heads up if you didn't already know, I put the clear coat down on my floor and it doesn't like gas all, Discolored mine. Also if a tire spins even slightly it'll mark it bad.
What do you have in the works for your rear link setup?
Ya lol...it was a little work fitting that bag.... and the floor i also have clear but you cant tell because its dirty as hell...so far its held up ..just a few burns and what not from welding and cutting....I guess i forgot to state it but im building a wishbone also ...but mine will be probably like this....
..this is azdraggins setup... its simple...clean and there are several trucks on this site running this setup and all are happy with it..keep up the good work...and dont be suprised if you see a bench seat in mine as well when im done..lol ur interior is sick...

Aug 16, 2009
SC

Thanks, yeah AZ's truck is rediculous, his truck and Hardluck's truck inpired me to go ahead and ditch the 2 link for the 3 link. I like symmetry, so I centered up my wishbone. Its supposed to have better roll center that way too. AZ has those drop hangers on his, so his instant center is better and his pinion angle does change as much. Hardluck had to jack his upper axle tabs way up to fix his drastic pinion angle change. Due to the lack of the drop hangers. Thats why I put two extra inches in my axle tabs (less pinion angle change and better instant center).

Sorry for the long post, but I thought that was something interesting to know when mounting the wishbone to the gas tank xmember.

Sep 9, 2009
Illinois

Thanks, yeah AZ's truck is rediculous, his truck and Hardluck's truck inpired me to go ahead and ditch the 2 link for the 3 link. I like symmetry, so I centered up my wishbone. Its supposed to have better roll center that way too. AZ has those drop hangers on his, so his instant center is better and his pinion angle does change as much. Hardluck had to jack his upper axle tabs way up to fix his drastic pinion angle change. Due to the lack of the drop hangers. Thats why I put two extra inches in my axle tabs (less pinion angle change and better instant center).

Sorry for the long post, but I thought that was something interesting to know when mounting the wishbone to the gas tank xmember.
Im definately going to try to keep the bars as paralell to each other as possible...i might end up mounting my wishbone to the front or even under my tank crossmember because of the lack of drop hangers..

Sep 9, 2009
Illinois

no big updates...but welded drivers side notch in and mocked the 14 bolt up to make sure it would clear the notch...I do have one question...i noticed that when i jacked the rearend all the way up to the frame it was about 2-3 inches back from the center point of where the rearend was when it had leafs...is this normal??? when i lower the rearend back down to close to stock ride height it looks to be almost centered??....just kinda messin with my mind i guess..let me know what you guys think...

notch welded in..not the prettiest welds..but it looks like i got good penetration

14 bolt ... mocked up...notice those sweet ass u bolts...(lol i had to order some and they will be ready on monday)

Aug 16, 2009
SC

I first notched my frame for the 2 link, I had it centered perfect. When I built the 3 link my rear end sat back further, The way I see it as long as it aint hitting the side of the notch before it bottoms out then it aint worth cuttin out and doin again.

To measure for the notch location, you gotta account for the swing of the links, Because unlike the leafs they will no longer allow the axle to travel straight up and down.

YAY ZIPPY TIES!

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2009
Illinois

Your truck is turning out nice... And you said you were building your first bagged truck... Nice...
thank you sir...im trying....being my first truck and first big welding project im pretty happy with the way its going...
I first notched my frame for the 2 link, I had it centered perfect. When I built the 3 link my rear end sat back further, The way I see it as long as it aint hitting the side of the notch before it bottoms out then it aint worth cuttin out and doin again.

To measure for the notch location, you gotta account for the swing of the links, Because unlike the leafs they will no longer allow the axle to travel straight up and down.

YAY ZIPPY TIES!
Cool thats kinda what i thought...when i jacked it all the way up to the bottom of the frame it is about 2 inches behind the stock axle center point....and it clears the rear part of the notch...so actually when i cut out the frame it should be almost perfectly centered in the notch when layed out... and zip ties FTW!!

Oct 31, 2007
Texas

when you set up the bars, it was at ride height? right?

if it was and you jack the rear end up then the bars will appear to get longer, when in reality the rear end is swinging in an arc.

Feb 5, 2007
Texas

Sounds like you setup the bars at the original height..? It makes things easier if you sit the front rails on blocks(that represent your chosen ride height) and setup the rear using the front height as a reference. Its also good to measure(from cab) wheel well center line of the bed,before the bed is removed.Its more work trying to get the wheel well opening centered on the wheel than the other way around.
Continue.

Sep 9, 2009
Illinois

The bars are part of FBIs bolt on kit and actually the only thing im using from that kit...so they were already cut to length when i got them...i might eventually redo the lower bars with sqare tubing and ditch the bolt on brackets all together...also i might have changed my mind on doing bag on bar for right now..because im not sure the brackets will be strong enough to support the weight but nothing is set in stone yet.

Oct 31, 2007
Texas

i would go aheaad with the bag on bar. ride and lift will be better. just dont offset the bags on the bars, or you risk twisting the links. take your time and do it right, that way you only have to do it once.